Revell 1:32 Bell X-1

ollieholmes

Nice choice, Ollie. Check out Eric's build for some inspiration. Mine's still stuck at the nozzle doesn't fit stage.

Kev

Kev

Have you got a link to Erics? Ive seen your thread and ive got an idea for a way around it myself.My plan is to scrap the kit bulkhead and make my own from plastic card and then open out the holes for the pipes.

Some inspiring work there. I plan to build mine as Glamorus Glennis as she was on the record breaking flight as i plan to also build the X15 as she was to break the record. Ill copy Erics canopy and instrument panel work but i dont feel up to the rest yet.

Hi, Ollie just build this, ready for paint. Paint is FS 12300, I bought Tamyia X-6, it is close but could need a bit more brown in it. It is a basic kit, just need all panellines to do as they are raised. And Yes the end of

the rocketengine does not fit. I cut all engineexhausts of and made a new backend from Evergreen sheet. Should be piece of cake, good luck.

Very nice choice !

I bought mine as a fast build a few years ago and at that time i was not very concerned by the nozzle that doesn't fit (today i think i would). I just take care of it to be centered and it's not that noticeable. The thickness of the fuselage plastic is more annoying to me. If someday i rebuild one, i think i would thin it.

20130908_152138_zps534bb356.jpg

20130908_152631_zpse99923ea.jpg

Edited by Zero77

Cheers guys. Ill be making a start on it tonight and ive already got plans for the back end.

Theo

I was wondering what paint to use but i like your suggestion. I will be rescribing my entire kit but that makes me slightly nervous as its only the second kit ive rescribed (firsrt was a Frog Whitley)

Cheers guys. Ill be making a start on it tonight and ive already got plans for the back end.

Theo

I was wondering what paint to use but i like your suggestion. I will be rescribing my entire kit but that makes me slightly nervous as its only the second kit ive rescribed (firsrt was a Frog Whitley)

Dont worry for the rescribing. Mine was the first and only kit i rescribed, i'm scribingophobic, but it went smoothly. There are not a lot of panel lines and they are rather straight. The only difficulty was a very few lines on curvy shapes on the fuselage.

Kev, indeed yours seems to be way more undersized. Strange... Mine was in grey plastic, maybe the orange plastic shrinks more? Or they remade the mould? (quite unlikely in my opinion, given it's a very old and cheap kit...)