Are there options for a 1/32 Ki-43-I out there? Update 8/5!

ninjrk

My wonderful wife bought me the Tamiya early Zero and I would love to display it with a Ki-43 but it seems all of the kits are of the Ki-43-II and not the earlier version.  Did anyone ever make a conversion kit or some such?  I'm not convinced that I want to make the time to backdate the Hasegawa kit; after a bunch of work redoing a big resin kit I'd kind of like to do a couple OOB builds to recharge!

Thanks,

Matt

My wonderful wife bought me the Tamiya early Zero and I would love to display it with a Ki-43 but it seems all of the kits are of the Ki-43-II and not the earlier version.  Did anyone ever make a conversion kit or some such?  I'm not convinced that I want to make the time to backdate the Hasegawa kit; after a bunch of work redoing a big resin kit I'd kind of like to do a couple OOB builds to recharge!

Thanks,

Matt

Apologies, just realized the topic title got clipped.

As far as I'm aware, Matt, there's nothing available. Both the available kits are old, with the Revell one being hard to find as well. Neither got any real love from the aftermarket, even though the Hasegawa kit has been re-released several times, and can be readily found. There might be a set of exhausts somewhere, and maybe a vac canopy, but certainly no conversion that I've heard of. Hopefully someone can prove me wrong, however!

Kev

I have one of those UMI sets.

Maybe we should get Harold to clean it up and cast some new parts along with some other upgrades for the kit? If nothing else, maybe the new parts would mean Hasegawa would release a new-tool version (due to Murphy's Law of course.)

I am assuming copyright laws wouldn't apply as UMI is no more, the molds and all his other modeling stuff gone.

I have one of those UMI sets.

Maybe we should get Harold to clean it up and cast some new parts along with some other upgrades for the kit? If nothing else, maybe the new parts would mean Hasegawa would release a new-tool version (due to Murphy's Law of course.)

I am assuming copyright laws wouldn't apply as UMI is no more, the molds and all his other modeling stuff gone.

That's a good point- I didn't know Dave, but his posts suggested that he was a heck of a nice guy, and would probably would have wanted his creation to have lived on in one form or another.

I think if they were copied without modification, and then sold that way, quite possibly so. But if they were used as the basis for a heavily modified or extended set, then possibly not. For practical purposes, I really don't think it matters much in this specific case, but we'd probably need an IP lawyer to cut through the grey areas for a definitive answer on this one.

Kev

The -I Oscar wants a new cowl, flat top canopy, 2 blade prop, and the Eduard PE set, which actually only really needs the looms to hold the oil cooler lines, which sit in front of the engine; the round blobby thing in the Hase kit. Dave from UMI died some years ago, so if a set of his is around, it would be a good jumping off point.

There are of course some other subtlties to the plane, but these are the biggies as I remember them.

Stephen knew him better than anyone, so he may know who his estate went to. It did not go to Umi, they were never married as far as I know, and if I recall correctly, was thought to have gone back to her home country. I think that came from Stephen. I also think Stephen tried to find out what happened to Dave's masters and molds went and got nowhere.

I will look for his set when I get back home this weekend. I know there was a new cowl, I think a prop, but not sure about the canopy.

If I recall correctly, US Copyright says as long as the product is at least 10% significantly different ( modified from a similar product and or different in base material ) then it is considered a new product. Resin for modeling purposes has changed significantly since the old set was produced, and the sets as they are clearly would need to be modified at least 10%.

Asking (AMS) Harold to produce what would be essentially a new product isn't far fetched, you just have to give him enough time and beer, I'll buy the beer.  :)

Paul