RAAF 20th anniversary hornet - the perils of polishing 23/12

ClumsyDude

Geesh, I'm not sure how missed this, but this build is orgasmic!

Thanks Shaka ... not sure if I'd call it that, after all, I'm married and I get a lot more time at the bench than I do ... Never mind!

Nice cockpit Jim!

Thanks Spyros!

Jim, those MFD's are killer! Very nice and subtle effekt. Thanks for sharing that technique!

Cheers

Rainer

Thanks Rainer, I appreciate it. I have admired your work for a long time on this forum so it means a lot.

very very clean nice work

Thanks mate!

Holly cow, how I missed that :) well Jim, that birdy will be your next great master-piece :)

But do not mess with custom decals for the "camo" :) do it with masks, this plane is big enough to make your own masks :)

And you're perfect air-brusher :punk:

Cheers my friend

Thanks Chavdar. I agree masks is the way to go ... although I'm more than a little intimidated by the idea of achieving a gloss finish over such a big bird. Might have to play around with some good gloss coats (although the biggest issue isn't the paint - I get good results with Mr Super Clear - it's my tendency to be clumsy and get dust or fingerprints in it! Matte coats can cover a lot of sins in that regard.

Looks really nice so car and that scheme looks great.

Thanks Ollie! I do love the scheme ... every now and again I get tempted by another one but I keep coming back to this one. Hope I can do it justice!

Thanks everyone for watching.

Cheers

Jim

you really don't know how warm and fuzzy inside it makes me feel to see airscale stuff so brilliantly used :) that cockpit is what it looked like when I closed my eyes and dreamt of doing some stuff for modern jets..

hugely impressed, perfectly executed and proud like a new father :m0152:

Peter

I can't say that Hornets are my cup of tea, but you're doing your usual outstanding job on this one Jim :bow:

Great work on the pit. You attention to detail is amazing. The control stick and IP are simply gorgeous !

Hubert

Thanks Hubert! That's very kind of you.

WOW! That IP and pit tub look full on TERRIFIC. The MFD screens turned out excellent, and have a good depth feel to them even though they are off.     Great work!

Thanks Brian, I'm glad you like the effect. I have learned a lot watching your builds over the years so I appreciate the comment.

Do not worry for dust or fingerprints Jim :) If you use an 3m wax cover finish, after all polishing,

there will be no such problem after all ;)

Thanks Chavdar, do you have a link for the 3M wax product? How hard is it to use?

Thanks all

Jim

you really don't know how warm and fuzzy inside it makes me feel to see airscale stuff so brilliantly used :) that cockpit is what it looked like when I closed my eyes and dreamt of doing some stuff for modern jets..

hugely impressed, perfectly executed and proud like a new father :m0152:

Peter

Peter ... thank you, I'm speechless! Of all the comments I've had in my modelling career this is one of the most gratifying. I'm such a fan of your work (both decals/PE and models), this has made my day!

Cheers

Jim

Edited by ClumsyDude

Oh Jim I don't have a link, because I bought it from my local auto-tunning shop :)

You  can use it like an tamiya 3 polishing compounds for a final shine :) too easy and simple

Looking for this, I'm sure you can find it in your local walmart :)

buying_lg_car_wax.jpg

And after you cover the model with this, when you touch it, there are no fingerprints and the dust is so easy to clean-just blow it away ;)

Wow, i missed that amazing start ! That cockpit is just stellar. There are a lot of great ideas, like the screens (damn realistic !).

I have the same set of decals and love the scheme with the huge kangaroos. Cant wait to see the result is such skilled hands !

Edited by Zero77

G'day Ben, great to have you drop by.

I am pretty sure that RAAF shoulder harnesses hang down like these ones (at least that's what was in my reference photos and I'm sticking to that story). A proper hornet pilot could probably correct me, I know there are a few around LSP! But I agree, the Canadian and USN ones all seem to be raised, as you describe.

Cheers

Jim

I'd tend to say the seats don't depend on the country though, Jim. It's the SJU-5 on A, B and early C Hornets (http://www.ejectionsite.com/sju56aseat.htm) and the SJU-17 NACES on late C, D, E and F Hornets (http://www.ejectionsite.com/sju17seat.htm). I have to admit I've never seen them hanging down like this except for seats in maintenance. Of course I don't have the reference photos you have on hand, so I trust you will do the right thing! ;)