RAAF 20th anniversary hornet - the perils of polishing 23/12

ClumsyDude

Thanks Mark, Pip and Zac ... much appreciated. @Pip - your Canberra is one of my fave builds, how are you tracking on that?

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim,

Yeah, the Canberra is waiting for confirmation of measurements of Canopy and crew hatch areas before i start on the hardest phase of build... (cockpit) ... Drawings need to be authenticated by measuring the real aircraft....  cos it relates to the cockpit interior of these key areas on the inside... (hatch will be resin piece that must fit to interior cockpit sections that i will master very soon - but this damn heat of summer isn't helping!)

the New year should see some major progress!

Keep up the excellent work here Jim!

Pip

Edited by Piprm

Hey Jim, big thanks for posting the extra detail on your approach, really insightful! are you able to spray the lacquer based clear straight over the decals or do you do something else over them first?

Thanks Chris. I have sprayed the lacquer straight over the decals - this is what I usually do, and don't usually have issues. Of course, this time wasn't usual, and I was very lucky to be able recover after the wrinkling on the nose roundel. It has spooked me about this strategy in future ...

Maybe I told you before, but this birdy will become at another work of art of yours :)

One thing I just do not understand - why are you used so hard methods for gloss finishing?

Of course, you show to us another great how-to achieve it :)

Cheers Jim ;)

Chavdar, good to see you again! I do have to ask myself why I make it so hard, and I don't have a good answer for you, other than it's the only way I know to get the finish I want. And it is kind of rewarding after all that work to see such a nice gloss ... pretty much makes it worth it!

Cheers

Jim

Nice work Jim. This jet is going to be spit shine in the end. I need to seat down in comfortable chair and go through the entire thread to see your incredible elbow work as whole. In mean time, keep up the good work ;)

Mike

Thanks Mike! It's funny what you say about "spit shine", I do use spit with my sanding (I find it works better than water, just like it did on parade shoes back in the day). Appreciate the encouragement, it's a big help keeping the mojo up.

Got one more update to post before Christmas ... will hopefully get to it this afternoon.

Jim

Thanks Chris. I have sprayed the lacquer straight over the decals - this is what I usually do, and don't usually have issues. Of course, this time wasn't usual, and I was very lucky to be able recover after the wrinkling on the nose roundel. It has spooked me about this strategy in future..

Jim

For sure, spooked me to. I need to clear coat to protect the decals on my F-35 and i had only delayed beccause i had some water marks on the gloss paint from the setting solution. I wasn't sure if they would show through and I'm having trouble getting them off the gloss. That's when i ran across your post and decided to hold off until i heard from you. Thanks for the info! I may post somethiing in the technique forum and see what I can find out.

All RIGHT y'all, time for one last update before Christmas - I'm on holiday until the new year so no more modelling for a while.

So here's the progress - what you see here took pretty close to a full day's work. Here are the polished inner flaps:

38297130985_e6a0e1f0fd_k.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the shine, but then take a look at this - not too happy with the receding blue paint around the panel line:

38297129665_2b968387a2_k.jpg

I don't know how I'll fix that - a wash might work, or I might need to spray some blue and re-polish.

I also managed to get one of the slats done ...

38297130355_cdf10809cb_k.jpg

Again, pretty happy with the shine - but my screw up on this one was polishing through the paint on the bottom side (you can see the white primer showing through at the top of the slat in this shot):

38297130895_757c295217_k.jpg

Here's the polished slat next to its mate, which still has the nasty orange peel:

39173193371_b903449711_k.jpg

At this rate I'll just about have it done by Christmas (Christmas 2018 that is!).

Thanks all for following along, I really appreciate the comments. Hope you all have a terrific holiday season & new year!

Cheers

Jim

Edited by ClumsyDude