RAAF 20th anniversary hornet - the perils of polishing 23/12

ClumsyDude

Wow, thank you all for such humbling and flattering comments. I'm desperately keen to get some colour on it, but I am taking my daughters skiing for the first time starting Thursday and so I doubt I'll get to it before then (tonight I'm in Melbourne on business, and gnashing my teeth at being 1,000km from my workbench).

The two things I'm trying to sort out in my head are:

- how do I mask the main gear bay? I'm not sure if I can stuff it with foam like I did the nose bay, and I'm nervous about "tenting" tamiya tape across a big void. If anyone has any hints I'll gladly take them.

- I'm going to have to leave the paint on for some time before I lift the masks - if only because i never get more than an hour or two at the bench, and there has to be at least 3-4 hours of airbrush time before I get to lifting the masks. Just changing the masks from the light blue to the dark blue on the wings will take an hour, I reckon. So I'm thinking of a light misting of Mr Levelling Thinner over the masks before I lift them up - any thoughts?

Thanks all

Jim

That is some nice work on a very complicated scheme.  Looking at the photos, I think this is gonna turn out super cool.  I'm amazed at how you lined all those masks up perfectly.  I can't wait to see more paint...

Bryan

Thanks Bryan ... l learned on the vertical tails that not getting the masks right the first time results in an enormous amount of rework - respraying a pinhead sized imperfection can take half an hour of masking. So I've obsessed about it this time around.

Re: Masking the main gear bay. Perhaps mask using the doors themselves ??

Hi Jim, that didn't occur to me as I assumed that they'd have mounting flanges moulded on which I would need to cut off (I'm used to 1/48 where this is common). But I checked the instructions, which I keep on my iPad, and I think you're right - it'll work! Thanks so much for the suggestion.

this gets better and better

Thanks mate! Fingers crossed ...

Jim