RAAF 20th anniversary hornet - the perils of polishing 23/12

ClumsyDude

I don't recall the color order without going down to the cut room but I seem to recall the center being red and the outers being white. Not that any of that matters. I'd cut them horizontally, toss the cut-offs and Tamiya tape over the contours..

There really is not going to be an easy out for that area. Have patience, you have plenty of material. Be sure you triple check to be sure the masking is seated before you spray and recheck while you are in progress. Worst case, the clear will grant you forgiveness if you have to do any touch up work.

It looks daunting at this point but keep in mind that the white is down so all you are really dealing with at this point is the two edges the demarcate the red stripe. After the red is down you only have the two outer edges to deal with because you are covering everything up to paint the blues.

Thanks Randy. I'll give that a go this weekend if I manage to get some free time (work is really properly crazy right now, I hate it when it bleeds into the weekend).

I'd agree with Randy's approach. Don't use the mask for going over the fairings and copy them with Tamiya tape. You may want to get some Aizu brand masking tape as it comes in 0.4mm width which allows it to follow curves nicely. I've used that combination in the past for masking.

I don't know if it'll help much but I did a mini tutorial in my Spitfire build on how I work with masks. It starts about half way down the page.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=61342&page=6

Carl

Thanks Carl, I followed that one first time around. I'll have a look for the Aizu tape, I have the white Tamiya masking tape, will probably give that a go first.

Cheers

Jim

Ok, bit of quality airport lounge time so here's an update. More frustration than anything, but the main thing is I'm learning how to make the masks work over the bumps on the tails. As usual (why is this always the answer?) it's a boatload of work. Good news is, I am learning good skills which will make life easier when I get to the really tricky masking.

I started off by cutting up the mask (what you're looking at is about mask number 5, so it's a good job I got lots of copies ... but then again, I know how much I stuff things up when I'm working on something like this, and less than 7 or 8 copies of the mask means I'll get itchy about messing it up ... with lots of spares I can relax).

C4127443-951E-4781-BA19-D0BCA22821B6.jpg

Here's the sliced mask on the plastic ...

861274F7-F52C-4036-90E3-E7008B874797.jpg

And then what did I do?? Stupid, stupid mistake ... I have pre-mixed jars of paint, with lots of thinner and retarder, and then I accidentally load my airbrush from one of the OTHER jars. Massive orange peel.

43AA5A95-C787-40A2-8898-3D68E548D98D.jpg

Followed by sanding back ...

FD8D7C1A-231E-4288-A29E-D325B433C5C1.jpg

Now I've tried masking the bumps with super thin strips of Tamiya tape ...

5A094274-24A0-4EE9-BA70-2A5E05145F76.jpg

Hard to tell in this photo, the demarcation line still looks messy because I haven't gone over the white or red. But the line over the bumps is now exactly as it should be.

DF34B01B-EFCD-4319-8146-4E18AE748178.jpg

So I know what I've got to do ... just need to execute now!

Thanks for watching.

Jim

Guest Peterpools

HI Jim

Surely a ton of work and the masking is looking good now over the bumps.

Been there right with you and done the same more then once. Must be in the How To Modeling Guide for sure.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

That is so frustrating having something like that happen, but your recovery is going great. It's gonna be a real winner when done.

Thanks mate! I certainly hope so. Just need some bench time ... don't we all ... :P

Jim

Wooow..!!

FT

Thanks Fabio ... if it turns out half as well as your Tomcat I'll be happy!

Jim

Looking mighty good ..

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter!

Looks like you've figured out a way to over come. Good job!

Still looking forward to the other side....... :whistle:

Haha me too! Did some masking last night, hope to shoot some paint over the long weekend ... it'll be the showpiece of the build (well, that and the wings).

Brilliant work Jim.  I have been following this for some time now, and you're really inspiring me to do another 1/32 kit.  I love your eye for detail and your ability to replicate it.  Absolutely awesome stuff.

Thanks Troy, really appreciate it. Get into it mate, and show us a WIP!

Cheers

Jim