Tamiya F4U-1 Corsair as a FAA Corsair I, 5F JT 150.......FINISHED

monthebiff

After wondering what to do with my Tamiya Corsair and trawling the internet I decided to build it as a FAA Corsair I and so after doing a couple of short run kits I decided to treat myself and make a start.............

20160720_192401-1_zpskbxc5ys3.jpg

Aftermarket stuff I have for this one are:

Barracuda cockpit stencils

Eagle Cals Birdcage Corsairs Pt 2

HGW fabric belts

Eduard Brassin wheel set

Profimodeller gun barrel set

Mastercaster engine cowl (hopefully try and lift the detail from it and add to the Tamiya cowl) but lets see on that one!!

First up I wanted to get the outer wings out of the way and started adding the Profi modeller barrel set..........

20160720_204226_zpstidlrmo5.jpg

20160720_204814_zpshmhmporj.jpg

Happily the brass items drop in easily with just a little thinning of the upper wing.

What  fantastic looking box of superbly detailed sprue's..........but then its been over 3 years since i built one of Tamiya's beautiful kits.

More soon and thanks for looking in.

Regards. Andy

Edited by monthebiff

Ok, I need those gun barrels!

Nice start and a good selection of goodies to help you along the way.

I have the Vector cowl flap set, and it is a gem.  I don't know about the Master Caster one, but the Vector set is made for the Tamiya kit.

Edited by Spaced Marine

Good start Andy,

I've been wondering what to do with mine as well and I think the FAA scheme looks awesome.

I'll be following along :)

Craig

Thanks Craig, there are loads of birdcage FAA pics on the internet if you look hard enough.......just need to decide which bird to depict now but definitely with clipped wings.

Ok, I need those gun barrels!

Nice start and a good selection of goodies to help you along the way.

I have the Vector cowl flap set, and it is a gem.  I don't know about the Master Caster one, but the Vector set is made for the Tamiya kit.

Thanks for the heads up on the Vector set, I may have to look into that one as the Master Caster may be a step to far

Looks cool so far. As far as I recollect, the guns are not all even though. That is to say they're staggered for the ammo feed chute clearance, so all muzzles are not lined up flush with the wing LE.

Never spotted that little detail but to late now!!

Regards. Andy

Two things about FAA Birdcage Corsairs:

The majority of them served stateside and most of them did NOT have the wings clipped. Not saying it never happened, but check the photographs carefully.

Second, a word of warning. That spar in place with the wing rib behind the brass folded section supporting the gun barrels must NOT be glued in place. Its intended to "give" and provide friction pressure with the center section wing spar when its installed. If its glued in place you won't be able to slide the wings on fully.

david

Looks cool so far. As far as I recollect, the guns are not all even though. That is to say they're staggered for the ammo feed chute clearance, so all muzzles are not lined up flush with the wing LE.

Correct, and they each have a blast tube that is the same diameter as each hole in the leading edge of the wing.  Unfortunately, there is not really anything else visible from the front unless you looked really, really hard.  But, the brass parts look nice and better than just blank holes even if not accurate.

Edited by DougN

• 4 weeks later...

Two things about FAA Birdcage Corsairs:

The majority of them served stateside and most of them did NOT have the wings clipped. Not saying it never happened, but check the photographs carefully.

Second, a word of warning. That spar in place with the wing rib behind the brass folded section supporting the gun barrels must NOT be glued in place. Its intended to "give" and provide friction pressure with the center section wing spar when its installed. If its glued in place you won't be able to slide the wings on fully.

david

thanks for the heads up on that spar not to glue David, but I had already glued both in place, busy chatting with one of my girls at the time so not paying proper attention to the instructions til it was to late and this is what happens if the spar is glued into place........

20160817_194420_zps3ie5fdgw.jpg

Very worried at this point as the whole wing was binding very quickly............so after some careful trimming and thinning of the main rib of the spar I managed to get a nice fit 

20160817_204508-1_zpskln2arxb.jpg

Also managed to finish the outer wing assemblies and clip the wings, Initial shaping and blending of the lights done but a little more work required yet.

20160817_204338-1_zps2i3pdlgs.jpg

As always, thanks for dropping by and having a look.

Regards. Andy

• 7 months later...

I concur about the clipped wings,......most Mk.I`s did not receive them, so check your references for the particular one that you want to build although `5F' in the decal sheet was one of them. Also, many did not receive the rear fuselage vents seen on the Mk.II & IV and instead had the panels in front of the cockpit taped over like US examples. Here is one that I did some time ago from the Tamiya kit, it replicates one which has been located along with the pilot at the bottom of Lake Sebago;

f1_zpsbv3qjxoa.jpg

If it is of any interest, here is my Work in Progress on Britmodeller;

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234988283-132nd-tamiya-birdcage-corsair-as-a-fleet-air-arm-mki-finished/#comment-2096787

Cheers and good luck,

Tony 

Edited by Big Tony

I concur about the clipped wings,......most Mk.I`s did not receive them, so check your references for the particular one that you want to build although `5F' in the decal sheet was one of them. Also, many did not receive the rear fuselage vents seen on the Mk.II & IV and instead had the panels in front of the cockpit taped over like US examples. Here is one that I did some time ago from the Tamiya kit, it replicates one which has been located along with the pilot at the bottom of Lake Sebago;

If it is of any interest, here is my Work in Progress on Britmodeller;

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234988283-132nd-tamiya-birdcage-corsair-as-a-fleet-air-arm-mki-finished/#comment-2096787

Cheers and good luck,

Tony 

Great build Tony and I followed with interest at the time and a great finish as well.

Wondering if I should get this build back on the bench now?

Regards. Andy

Great build Tony and I followed with interest at the time and a great finish as well.

Wondering if I should get this build back on the bench now?

Regards. Andy

I think that you should but then I am biassed as I do like the FAA scheme on US aircraft, and the Tamiya kit is by all accounts too good to waste.

Cheers

Dennis