WNW kits listed on Wetaworkshop.com

Jan_G

Not bad at all for me here in the US; Fokker E.IV, $79 + $16.72 shipping, and that's it. I can definitely live with that.

Indeed, but it's still $95... That's $15 more expensive than a Tamiya A6M5 on amazon (delivery included).

As a big WNW fan i dont want to run down on them, and i'd prefer they keep it coming in good conditions. But i'm a bit shaken by all that changes and such a substancial price increase (all inclusive). It went very fast and all at the same time.

For me, i never buy from outside the European region due to the possible custom charges, which can be a significant difference in final price. So that said, it will be a advantage to know that WNW kit's can now be ordered in the Netherlands and shipped from the Netherlands. Previous i used to order WNW kit's at Hannants. Those guy's always gave me a very fast and reliable service, never had any problems with them.

But everything has it's price, and that said, Hannats is not cheap, so i'm curious about the service that Weta gives to his customers (shipping time etc.)

I made a little calculation for myself to know the difference in price between Hannats & Weta.

Example : WNW Pfalz D.XII : Hannants :131.263€ + 11.22€ p/p = 142.50€

Weta       : 80.37€ + 21% VAT = 97.25€ + 6.95€ = 104.2€

That's 38€ cheaper if i order at Weta, and that's a good deal.  :thumbsup:

Now to go even further, if i buy this kit at a local hobbystore here in Belgium, i need to travel about 70 kilometers and i still have to pay more then i order one from Weta.

So in my case it's fairly safe to say, that ordering from Weta will be a good deal (still i have no experience with them regarding delivery time etc.) that keeping in mind.

Greetz

Danny

Ordered a Sop Snipe yesterday...Weta emailed today saying it was shipped..quick....  119.00 Inc. shipping (40.00)..but if Canada Customs gets their hands on it they'll be duty..taxes.

And if you want a good laugh,check out some of the (oop) WNW kits on Ebay. 

Indeed, but it's still $95... That's $15 more expensive than a Tamiya A6M5 on amazon (delivery included).

While that may well be true, if I really want a gorgeous Fokker E.IV, I seriously doubt that I'd buy a Zero because the Zero is cheaper.

While that may well be true, if I really want a gorgeous Fokker E.IV, I seriously doubt that I'd buy a Zero because the Zero is cheaper.

What i mean is that now even one of the simplest WNW kit (if i remember correctly they were sold for $59 at the very begining, and then $69 for several years) are now more expensive than Big Tamiya kits. Even if the Zero is the cheapest of all, it has a lot of sprues and the box is bigger and heavier than the E.IV box.

Last month, i ordered a Tamiya P-51D for 88€, too, though the "normal" price must be around 100€ i guess). A WNW E.IV and a Tamiya Mustang at about the same price, i think it's a bit weird and the E.IV seems a bit overpriced now in my opinion.

On the other side, i just simulated some shipping costs on the Wetashop as i'm seriously considering buying other post-war brisfit and DH-9a, and it seems they have adjusted their shipping costs. Now the shipping for 1 kit is 12.30€ (standard post) or 14.84€ (expedited post, one day less in delivery time). However, it's counting a shipping for each kit, which is still a bit weird as they must be shipped at the same time.

I also calculated that with the WETA $, you can have a free $100 kit every $1250 spent (at the condition you spent more than $500 in a year). That doesnt compensate the overall price increase, but that's a nice little bonus. However, it would be quite long before i reach $1250 of purchase.

Edited by Zero77

Wow, i just made a new try and this time shipping cost was 45€ for a kit. The same kit !

Ok, i think the website still need some set-up. :)

However it seems that one need to enter credit card details to get the final cost. So it means no more paypal. Sincerely i use paypal for about 99% of my online purchase. I dislike entering my CC information. I hope they will add paypal as a payment solution.

Edited by Zero77

Wow, i just made a new try and this time shipping cost was 45€ for a kit. The same kit !

It was me.... I selected "France metropolitan" instead of just "France" the first time. France metropolitan means France in Europe (not our many overseas islands), so the price should be the same, though.

Second thing : the shipping cost for 1 kit was 12.30€ and at first i thought it was cheaper than reported yesterday (24€ whatever the kit). But in fact i think it just divides this 24€ cost by the number of kits. I did not try with 3 kits to see if it was then 8€, so it must be confirmed.

I understood your intent, Zero, was just having fun. But really, I guess the market will ultimately determine if the new options are viable and sustainable or not. For me here in the US, the increases will not be all that dramatic, and if I determine that I really want a specific WNW kit, I'll just have to shop for the very best deal I can find, then live with it.

Finally i cracked and placed my order for the post war DH.9a and F.2b.... while i already had them and not even started any of them. Yes that's a bit crazy, but i already know the schemes i want to do (some from the box, other from the Pheon decals i already pre-ordered...), and i even think i would need more later.

So i can write in a few lines a small review of the new website :

-Pros : It works nicely, it's quite beautiful (I love the picture of Peter Jackson holding a Pfalz D.III). You can have an account with your adress (and credit card information if you want to, but i dont do that personally, since the great hacking of Hannants a few years ago) saved for your next orders. The Wetadollars are also a good thing as you can cumulate them and finally have a free kit if you have already bought enough stuff (for memory you would need to spend $1250 including $500 in the same year to get a $100 kit).

With the former site and organisation, when i ordered a kit, i would wait about 3 to 5 weeks to get the kit at my door. Now, i ordered yesterday (thursday), i received the shipping notification tonight and it should be delivered next monday. Very impressive, and i have to say it's a very good thing (even if i dont really care waiting, as building models is a school of patience :) ).

Cons : The site is not entirely dedicated to WNW and WW1 aviation. I'm a big fan of Peter Jackson and Tolkien's universe, but i think it's not really relevant to mix aircraft model kits with hobbits figures, elven swords replicas or other kind of collectibles. That's just my opinion. The item details available on the WNW site are not available on the Wetashop, so you have to use 2 sites if you want to read some information or see what's in the box before ordering. The payment is only with CC, so you cannot use paypal (i regret it, as paypal is my way of payment #1 today for my online purchases). The VAT only appears at the very late step of the ordering process, AFTER you have to enter your credit card informations. I think it should be modified as it can be very misleading. I still have to understand how the shipping costs work. The site counts 1 shipping cost for each kit, and i received 1 shipping notification for each kit. Maybe it can be improved with a better set up (for example with a weight coefficient?) so there is only 1 parcel for several kits?

And finally, the price increase. Last year, ordering these 2 kits costed me $218 = 198€ (at today's € vs $ rate), and from all my WNW orders i only had to pay for import duty a very few times (and not this time). My yesterday order costed 313€. I understand that a company has to earn money to develop itself and loosing money is not an option. But it was quite substancial and sudden. However, i think we will have to live with it. Some price adjustments in the decreasing way are still possible hopefully.

Conclusion : The Wetashop is working, and it's working nicely. Very fast shipment. More expensive, but we already knew it. As Kev said, no it's not dramatic, and there are a few good points on the other side. However, i fear that the price increase may impact negativelly the sales. We'll see !

The payment is only with CC, so you cannot use paypal (i regret it, as paypal is my way of payment #1 today for my online purchases).

To me, this is a big con.......it's fairly simple, no Paypal no purchase for me, as i only buy items on the net with Paypal. An online store as Weta should have Paypal, it's simple like that. :mental:

Greetz

Danny