Tamiya P-51D Mustang, restarted after 3 years.

Guest DannyVM

Hi Guy's,

like the title said it, i decided to restart my P-51D Mustang on which i started 3 years ago.  This little friend was put aside for my first ever WNW build, the Roland D.VIa.

Now, after my well know battle with the Italeri Starfighter, which ended in disaster, i decided to put this little fellow back to the workbench instead of starting something completely new.

At the moment, this is how it look's, most of the cockpit area is painted with a little weathering added. From here i will start again.

DSCN2467_zpsq9owyywy.jpg

DSCN2469_zpswhvcbcid.jpg

DSCN2470_zpshbkggvqc.jpg

DSCN2471_zpsaynaat8r.jpg

For this build will use the Eagle Call decals, but first i have a question for you guy's. :hmmm:

After i gave the decals a good inspection i noticed that the carrier film is slightly yellowed.

Now my question, will this be a problem after i place them onto the model or not. Or is it advice able to try this out first??

I don't know you guy's can see it on the following photo's.

DSCN2474_zpsmmlphfzi.jpg

DSCN2473_zpsuk5qevir.jpg

If it's to tricky to use them i will buy another set, but first i will wait for you guy's comment's about it.

Greetz

Danny

Nice project, Danny, and good work so far! With the decals, just seal them in a clear plastic bag (of the Ziplok variety), and tape them to the inside of a window facing the sun for a few days. Check them daily! Depending on the time of year and part of the world you're in (and the extent of the yellowing), it could take a week or two, or a couple of hours.

Kev

Nice project, Danny, and good work so far! With the decals, just seal them in a clear plastic bag (of the Ziplok variety), and tape them to the inside of a window facing the sun for a few days. Check them daily! Depending on the time of year and part of the world you're in (and the extent of the yellowing), it could take a week or two, or a couple of hours.

Kev

Thank's Kev for this very interesting advice you gave me, i will do that at once :speak_cool:

Danny,

This should be a good build to follow as I like the Mustangs. :

NEAT start .. Looks real nice.  :clap2:

Keep us posted ..

:thumbsup: 

MARU thank's my friend. :speak_cool:

For now, i still have to work for two day's and then i have three weeks of a well deserved vacation, so enough time to tackle this little friend.

Greetz

Danny

Sorry about your Starfighter difficulties Danny, it was so close to the finish line too. Maybe after all the paint hardens up, some light sanding will get it back.

Knowing the detail you put in on your F-104, I recommend the Barracudacals cockpit placard/stencil set to help dress up the interior. If the hood is open, they'll make a big difference.

P-51D%20cockpit%20placards%20stencils%20

Sorry about your Starfighter difficulties Danny, it was so close to the finish line too. Maybe after all the paint hardens up, some light sanding will get it back.

Knowing the detail you put in on your F-104, I recommend the Barracudacals cockpit placard/stencil set to help dress up the interior. If the hood is open, they'll make a big difference.

Thank's allot Chek for this very interesting info.

At the moment i have all ready the Eduard P-51 placards set and the Airscale stencil & placards set. 

As i wanted to order some stuff from Hannants for the P-51 i noticed they don't have the Barracuda set in stock, so i'm afraid i need to skip that one.

Still, a great thank's mate for let me know about the existence of this set :speak_cool:

Greetz

Danny

:popcorn:

How goes it Danny.... 

Very well thank's MARU.

At the moment i stripped the paint of the floor part. This wasn't done very properly, with the wrong colors added on the floor as it was a wooden floor. Today i will redo that part, photo's will following soon.

Greetz

Danny

Hi guy's,

time for my first real time update of this very beautiful kit. This Tamiya Mustang was in fact my second 1/32 Tamiya build after the splendid Spitfire.

First thing to do, was to strip the paint of from the floor part. The floor had to be partial wood, so i chosed the wrong color for this. Instead i painted the floor completely with interior green.

The part in the wrong color.

DSCN2470_zpseb1r4but.jpg

After stripping the paint of.

DSCN2476_zpskucpi6gl.jpg

To be sure i painted the part with Mr. Surfacer 1500 black primer. In this way the fuel cells already received at the same time their black color.

DSCN2481_zps9hfgunhl.jpg

After this was done, it was time to put the right colors onto the part. With some masking, some patience and some guts :evil_laugh:  i started with the airbrush session this afternoon.

I think i can say the end result is fairly better then before.

DSCN2484_zpshrolghfe.jpg

DSCN2486_zpsqcg0fzhx.jpg

The radio stack was partial updated with some wiring, made from copper wire and lead wire.

Also i dry-fitted the part onto the two fuselage half's, but like i expected it fits like a glove.

DSCN2488_zpspo4b3sgi.jpg

DSCN2489_zps7imi1joa.jpg

I have to admit, my two previous projects ( WNW Roland D.VIa and Harry Tate) gave me the opportunity to explore the wood grain techniques used for replicating wood. I made my own mixtures and use my own technique to do that on my Mustang build.

DSCN2490_zpsvamhooie.jpg

For now, the next step is to place all the cockpit stencils and placards, also some dials need to be added.

DSC_0022_zpsayqr0mek.jpg

The IP was already done 3 years ago, today i added a dry-brush and a gloss coat, prior to place the stencils onto the IP. The flash of the camera put the dry-brush in a very obvious perspective, in real time it's much more subtle.

DSC_0024_zpszhv7mlim.jpg

DSC_0025_zpsfh4js4wg.jpg

Greetz

Danny