Revell 1/32 HAF F-4E AUP...Let's Get Dirty

Deadpool

Hello friends,

This is my first WIP here on LSP and I'm excited. Why? Because it's only my second 1/32 build and it's one of those builds I've been getting psyched up for for a while. I've been cutting my teeth on 1/48 kits for many a year now and I've decided to step up. Why is it a step up? Well for me, 1/32 means more detail, more work and, assuming everything goes well, more satisfaction when you complete the build. So I'm consolidating all the skills ( :rofl:) I've learnt over the years into a serious 1/32 build. Maximum effort!

So here's the subject.

0324%20034%20F-4E%2001524_zps0gjqaqa8.jp

The Hellenic Air Force's bad a$$ F-4E AUP (Avionics Upgrade Programme). This bad boy went through a pretty significant upgrade a decade or so ago and now sports some serious capabilities.I love Greek birds. They get so dirty. The aircraft get pretty filthy as well and that's what I am going to build. I'm talking "Dude, where's the paint shop?" dirty.

The kit:

DSC_0083_zpsjmxdkgna.jpg

I've read all about the failing of this kit (nose, landing gear, intakes etc) but thankfully I'm getting a bag full of AM that'll hopefully rectify these shortcomings. Here's what I've got so far:

* Legend Productions Cockpit

* GT Resin Nose Cone

* Unidentified intakes,splitters, turbine fan faces, dropped ailerons and full exhaust set (came with the kit)

* Eduard Interior and exterior upgrade sets

* Airscale PE Instruments & Gauges upgrade sets and instrument & gauge decals

The Airscale items are required to address the biggest shortcoming of the kit; the cockpit. Apart from being tres short on detail, the AUP cockpit looks NOTHING like a typical Phantom cockpit. So all this will have to be scratch built. Mind you the only thing I've scratched recently is my plums so we'll see how that goes.

If you want to build an AUP Phantom, or any late Phantom for that matter, you HAVE to get the ultimate guide to the Phantom, Ioannis Lekkas' "Phantom Under The Skin". This book is proper good. Hundreds of amazing photos taken from a modeller's perspective. It's seriously worth the investment.

DSC_0085_zps1s0py3gw.jpg

AM Decals? Damn straight. These babies from Icarus:

DSC_0087_zps4mlb7edi.jpg

Anyway's, I'll try and keep the posts and updates regular and hopefully I can lean on you guys for some tips along the way. Speak soon guys.

Edited by Deadpool

Save me a seat in the front row for this one, but I'll only need the edge. A future project of mine (with all of GT Resins's stuff) is F-4E 68-442 (not AUP) from that sheet along with Icarus' white HAF F-4E stencil sheet. I'll be following along closely.

Tom

Thanks all. I hope I can produce something that you will all enjoy.

Save me a seat in the front row for this one, but I'll only need the edge. A future project of mine (with all of GT Resins's stuff) is F-4E 68-442 (not AUP) from that sheet along with Icarus' white HAF F-4E stencil sheet. I'll be following along closely.

Tom

Tom,

Mate, that's one thing I forgot to get! Thanks for reminding me! Off to the www's!

Thanks all. I hope I can produce something that you will all enjoy.

Tom,

Mate, that's one thing I forgot to get! Thanks for reminding me! Off to the www's!

Icarus did F-4 stencils in 3 colours-grey, black and white. Check your aircraft. Also, if you are going to replace the kit exhaust consider getting the GT Resin long nozzle set for the Revell kit. It is superb.

Cheers,

Tom

Hey Deadpool, great  to see a Greek Rhino on LSP.

I'm greek and this is one of my favourite birds. Also I 'm in the process of converting the Tamiya hardwing kit to a 338sq AUP. I see that you have the "bible" on the Greek AUPs so you have already seen that there are serious changes in the cockpit. Also have in mind that the stecils on the real steel, are grey (FS35237) and not white or black, unfortunatelly Icarus only produced them in white or black in 32nd scale. Well you may use the black set which after the semi mat varnish may get a greyish hue. In case you need anything on the Greek side don't hesitate to ask. 

Thanks for the tip Danaos. If I can find the black ones then I can lighten them up by lightly spraying them with a light grey till they blend in. Now to find them! No one seems to have them. Does anyone know if anyone else makes Phantom stencils?