Kawasaki Ki-61-I Hien | ST 28 Hasegawa 1:32

Kendzior

Hi All,

Thanks for all your nice comments :)

Some further progress with the Japanese Swallow - the fuselage sanded smooth, will probably still need to improve in some places, but I think it looks good. Unfortunately, the first serious fitting problems have revealed, as the fit of the wings and the fuselage is poor.

That's how it looks dry fitted:

zPi7u1.jpg

oHXtRS.jpg

e2kk0C.jpg

FEuQco.jpg

Tightened with a clothes peg (I really like the rubberized type) the underside looks good. But the upper side - not.

1llK4Q.jpg

660qrN.jpg

nKnrlP.jpg

Therefore, I glued on only the lower half of the wings. When the glue dries well, I'll be fitting the upper halves, so that to minimize as much as possible the mismatch at the connection with the fuselage. Some adjustment of the elevation angle of wings is also necessary, which by the way can also minimize the gap.

HLUSIJ.jpg

Still hope that only a small amount of dissolved putty will be necessary - excess of which I will wipe off with the LT.

Stay tuned, best

Hubert

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Gents :)

So, slooooowly moving forward.

- glued in the fuselage armament (Master)
- glued in the guns' cover, this will still need some attention,
- added tubing of fuel installation in the cockpit,
- the canopy was masked inside,
- added pylons for the tanks under the wings. Here some attention is needed - I think they should be glued in before gluing halves of the wings - there is a need to push them into the slots, but the wing is flexible subjected to a pressure and becomes slightly concave in this area. Therefore I had to cut off most of the fixing elements.

0CqDPs.jpg

xdi87g.jpg

ND01Qp.jpg

c3mp6T.jpg

HIEnGk.jpg

HT7WfE.jpg

h7tP9p.jpg

inME58.jpg

KmWpBn.jpg

nJFakb.jpg

Fit of the radiator and its housing to the fuselage is weak, resulting in an over 1 mm gap between these elements. One should therefore slightly file off the rear of the radiator, but for best results, it is necessary to clamp the parts to be glued together. For this purpose, I have "invented" this system:

iZj622.jpg

H4h8rL.jpg

S0D8Lz.jpg

Result: the small gap, which will disappear under the drop Mr. Dissolved Putty.

EbykBx.jpg

2HsFHU.jpg

Best
Hubert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Thanks for comments :)

Sprayed the colours for the markings (for red C385 from Gunze, for yellow IJA Chrome Yellow 71.135 from Vallejo) and masked them with Montex masks, Tamiya and 3M tapes.

4olv9b.jpg

RebCDN.jpg

RpIPLC.jpg

RxsSTI.jpg

HlsjSj.jpg

h3TfXi.jpg

Now I'm going to spray the matt black antiglare panel and then glossy black in preparation for the metallic - going to use Liquid Silver from Vallejo. 

As you can see, the dissolved putty is still required in some places...

Best

Hubert