Airfix 1:24 Harrier T.4

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone - thanks very much for you kind words on this build!

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back on here, but I've been a bit bogged-down with work and time's rather limited.

Over the last week or so I've spent some time dealing with the issues that afflict the large Airfix Harrier, including the open nozzle fairings and the complete lack of detail in the airbrake bay. Add to that the need to shorten the bay and then repair the fairings around the two front, cold jet nozzles and you can see that nothing on this model is easy!!!

Here's what I've done so far. The part resting on my fingers BTW, is the airbrake interior supplied by Airfix - it's a bit basic, isn't it?! The detail in the bay is close to what's needed, but not overboard; very little will be seen in there once the model is on its wheels, so I'm happy to have created the basics and nothing more...

I hope that you like it!

Spence happy.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWs1lMxWZmQ

IMG_0723%2B2.jpg

IMG_0725.JPG

IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1227.jpg

IMG_1231.jpg

Nice work, Spence. Do you have any plans for the overzealous rivetting?

Kev

Hi Kev - I think I'll deal with those with Filler Primer. I've tried it on the tailplanes and it seems to work okay - we'll see! :)

Hey everyone!

Here's a quick update on my Harrier T.2 build. As I'm still working on the airframe, I decided to deal with the intakes and engine. One of the problems in the kit is that the intake tunnels are too narrow and don't meet the compressor face in the right place and the triangular ramp behind the cockpit is missing altogether (which also makes the undercarriage bay the wrong shape!). Add to that the fact that the tunnel encloses the drop-down auxiliary doors when they are open (so you can't see the compressor blades) and the need to completely rebuild this section is obvious. To do this the engine needs to be fixed in place so that you can accurately line the tunnel; next problem, the nozzles don't fit properly. To cure this, the engine was cut in half, a 3 mm section removed and then it was glued back together and fixed inside the fuselage, the nozzles now being centred properly within their openings. Once set, the intake tunnel could be added with Evergreen strip and left to dry. Sanding and a layer of White Milliput, will create its final, smooth shape.

Another job done - onwards and upwards!

Spence :)