Zoukei Mura A-1J Skyraider USAF

Jan_G

Hi guys,

time to start another build. Was thinking about some real combat aircraft, so this one will be my first summer project.

626dcdb1-e8a2-473c-9c8e-da7dedabd4d2_zps

I bought this set for half the retail price (Aires A-1H cockpit included as well). My plan is to do fully loaded USAF Sandy with fire extinguisher and MJ1-A loader on the scene.

Some words regarding the kit. Its truly amazing, full of parts. I didnt find lot of evidence (only 1 full review) of this second issue A-1 kit from ZM. Main difference between this one and earlier A-1H issue is, that you get all parts from the first one + new parts to cover A-1J differences, you get A-1H manual + new one just to cover A-1J option and 2 decals sheets (USN and USAF). So you can build even Navy bird out of it.

The most important is that its made only from 1 type of gray plastic, so I think that this one is definitelly better choice, if you are looking for ZM Skyraider kit.

97908e8e-072a-4cdd-8962-80f735bea78f_zps

I plan not to spend lot of time with not visible interior stuff. Will use only interior elements which are important in terms of the strength of the whole.

I will focus on cockpit details, wheel bays, engine and overall clean build. The most important will be paint job and quite heavy weathering. And yes, weapons :)

Will use Gunze C and H paints, and for the first time will try Mr. Paint stuff for the camuflage (I saw here in the forum some evidence of great results achieved with it)

here we go...

first - cockpit

Aires interior

71b914c3-add6-40bb-9145-379044a53db2_zps

and comparison of details resin vs plastic

IMG_5827_zpsniksf4l5.jpg

In the beginning I wanted to use original part and decal for instrument panel, but after comparison with the photos, I decided to go with PE one

IMG_5825_zpssslrehli.jpg

thanks for looking and any comments or advices are welcome.

jan 

Edited by Jan_G

Exciting looking build. Will be interested to see how well the Aires interior fits- the resin is obviously in a different class regarding detail, but Ive heard Aries can often be miles out regarding fit.

Have always liked the 3 tone USAAF camo from Vietnam- that coupled with alot of exhaust staining that Spads were prone to will make for a very striking bird. Will be following with interest!

Brings back memories........have fun.....built one few years back......personally I did not like it a lot.....but that's just me and it does built up to a grand model......I include a pic of mine

fin2_zpseb060423.jpg

Watch the instructions if not mistaken the arrester hook does not blend well......and the engine lots of test fitting is recommended

Love the Aires pit...looks good

Cheers

Brian

Edited by Mr b

Awesome choice, agree with Mr B above. Not exactly the easiest kit.  I started mine, but gave up on it.  Here was my WIP on ARChttp://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=281936&st=0&p=2684484&hl=eraucubsfan&fromsearch=1&&do=findComment&comment=2684484

Watch the front end, especially the engine and exhaust. Test Fit!  

Thanks guys for the advices and links.

Btw Brian, really great looking bird! like that finish, perfect job   :speak_cool:

just a smal update....

building internal structures. have to wait till glue dries. I skip back to plastic cement for this build because of strength of all main big parts, even I like more to work with different CA glues

till yet the fit is great, almost no cleaning of the parts needed.

IMG_5829_zpscs6xghtz.jpg

IMG_5832_zpshuiiyt6g.jpg

resin parts cleaned up and ready for gluing and painting

IMG_5834_zpshhdfhp6j.jpg

Was thinking at the begining that for display base I will use True details PSP base, but after checking many pictures I didnt find no A-1J in Vietnam on it.

Common pictures depicts A-1 standing on concrete surface or on M8A1 mat.

Was trying to find M8A1 dispaly base in 1/32, but it seems there is nothing out there. If I'm wrong just pls let me know, would like to get it.

Otherwise I will prepare som boring concrete dispaly base :)

thanks for looking

jan

small update...

parts ready for coat of Mr. Surfacer 1000

d286ca50-ad1e-4583-9dd5-449f334abe4a_zps

interior in basic Grey with post-shading done already

738e747f-16be-4467-a1e7-a9bae93dd047_zps

used GSI gloss black for instruments areas and base grey mixed with white for subtle drybrush

IMG_5872_zpsq3n988qi.jpg

interior green and basic glossy white used for the interior 

IMG_5864_zpstvruquf5.jpg

IMG_5859_zpsywj3asnu.jpg

thanks for looking

jan

Guest Clunkmeister

Jan, I built the Navy version and it builds up beautifully, with the exception of:

A. The rear fuselage fit. I found that if you don't install the rear bulkheads that actually support or do anything, leave them off.

B. Also watch the wing fold joint. It's poor, weak, and tends to sag. I secured mine open.

Jan, you're a machine! A real model building machine!

Looks Great Jan! You should have this one done by Friday right? :whistle:   :)  One of the things the Air Force did to the J model when they took them over from the Navy was include landing lights and their fairings out at the ends of the bottom wingtips.

They should be on your kit. I built my J from the ZM Navy kit and had to build my own. A friend cast me what's on the ZM kit, and they appeared oversized, so check your references if it matters to you. I am sure most folks won't even notice. There is also a LOT of visible detail ( plumbing and fittings ) that's not included in the kit that goes primarily to the pilot's left side, next to the canopy retraction/yankee extraction seat rail behind his head. I am mentioning these things because they are much easier to plan for and include now rather than later.  If you're going to build the wings extended, think about doing a spar extension/reinforcements  make them "solid" I can still pick my kit up from the end of the wingtip and not flinch.  :) I would not trust the wing hinge alone to hold it all straight over time the way it comes in the box.

I'll be following along.

Paul 

A. The rear fuselage fit. I found that if you don't install the rear bulkheads that actually support or do anything, leave them off.

B. Also watch the wing fold joint. It's poor, weak, and tends to sag. I secured mine open.

Thank you Ernie!

will keep my eye on the rear fit,

The fit is most important for me during the build stage because filling and sanding is my nightmare 

They should be on your kit. I built my J from the ZM Navy kit and had to build my own. A friend cast me what's on the ZM kit, and they appeared oversized, so check your references if it matters to you. I am sure most folks won't even notice. There is also a LOT of visible detail ( plumbing and fittings ) that's not included in the kit that goes primarily to the pilot's left side, next to the canopy retraction/yankee extraction seat rail behind his head. I am mentioning these things because they are much easier to plan for and include now rather than later.  If you're going to build the wings extended, think about doing a spar extension/reinforcements  make them "solid" 

Thanks Paul for head-ups!

Didnt realize that landing lights could be oversized and I would not mind If I knew that :)  will try to fix it somehow now

good point with the wings, Yes I want to have them extended and fixed so will use probably steel rods to stregth them.

Regarding cockpit stuff...I plan to close  fuselage to with main interior part to let it dry at least 2-3 days

and will work on yeankee seat separately, original kit part is really bare one and cries for more.

Will try to do my best to depict the details, thanks for the evidence, you have share with me couple of really nice pictures of yankee seat  :speak_cool:

jan

Thanks Jan..glad you liked my rendition.

Nice progress.............interesting never knew that Gunze had that dark shade of Interior Green..........would be obliged if you could tell me which set does it belong too....need one fairly soon........

Best Regards

Brian

Guest Clunkmeister

Jan's a machine! I think he's not really a person, but a machine...

Just insert your favorite kit in the front, and a week later,... 'Poof', out comes one of the most perfectly built and weathered builds to ever Grace these pages.

Amazing!

• 3 weeks later...