Special Hobby 1:32 Airacobra AH574 - First Tricycle Deck Landing

TorbenD

Thx all for your kind words  :D

Eduard normally show placing the part on a forgiving surface, then using a ballpoint pen to gently push the ribs out. If it is not showing this in the instructions I would think they are to be left as is.

Andy

Thx Andy, I'm very new to photo-etch - there's nothing in the SH instructions but what you suggest sounds totally logical and I'll give that a go

Cheers,

Torben

Thanks all, some great feedback that's really appreciated  :D

Just a small update - progress is vvslow as work/life etc. has been getting busy pre holidays - That and watching the Olympics.... addictive stuff!

Still in the pit but another inch or two further on - the left hand wall wired up and the seat final in after 3 earlier goes to keep it all central and straight; I propped it up a bit as Captain Brown wasn't called Winkle for nothing but the lack of positive locators continues to be an ‘interesting' challenge in this limited run kit.

2%20DSC00734-XL.jpg

The above is before cleaning up and application of a matt varnish although it goes somewhat to show what happens when my heavy handed wash application and gluing inexperience meets the slightly soft nature of some of the moulding - not a pretty sight under a macro lens!

After that, I scratched the trim wheel rather than go aftermarket as I wanted to try and learn some new skills - the image below is my third attempt that was eaten by the carpet monster :BANGHEAD2:  (the bad join of the copper loop is totally hidden so no need to make perfect) - the 4th and hopefully final attempt is much finer than this and being left off until further on in the build.

2%20DSC00695-X3.jpg

I then test fitted where I've got to...

2%20DSC00739-XL.jpg2%20DSC00719-XL.jpg

A bit of fettling will be needed where the roll-cage framework meets the sides but hopefully not too much trouble :wacko: .

Then holding my breath........

2%20DSC00741-XL.jpg2%20DSC00742-XL.jpg

...this should be great fit! Phew!

Whilst on a roll I test fitted the wings.

2%20DSC00697-XL.jpg

.2%20DSC00745-XL.jpg

2%20DSC00748-XL.jpg

With a bit of careful clamping before gluing and far less filler than I feared after seeing other builds it's nice to remind myself that I'm building an aeroplane!

That said it still feels like a fairly long way to go before I get to that stage as beyond adding the final switches etc  to the IP etc I want to try and build up the internal structure on the canopy which it partially tubular and has prominent raised bolts...

I've yet to decide what to do about the gunsight - it was possibly removed but as the main armament was retained to keep the aircraft balanced so could well have been retained. Any thoughts on that anyone?

Thanks for watching

Torben

Edited by TorbenD

Super work, Torben. Your cockpit looks great and I really admire your scratch building!

With regard to the gunsight I've just checked 'Winkle's' chapter on AH574 in 'Wings of the Weird and Wonderful' and (to my old eyes) the rather prominent gunsight is omitted. I could be wrong. However, while maintaining the CG might be one consideration, removing it would improve visibility especially for deck landing/trials flying (and arguably for general flying). Sorry this is not conclusive.

Mike

Excellent work, Torben! I'm actually beginning to like the look of the SH kit more than the Kitty Hawk one. Looking forward to your next update.

Kev

Thanks Kev,

It certainly ain't no shake and bake but having seen your's and other recent struggles with the KH kit I definitely would recommend it for those who don't want to open any panels. Still lovin' your build though...

Super work, Torben. Your cockpit looks great and I really admire your scratch building!

With regard to the gunsight I've just checked 'Winkle's' chapter on AH574 in 'Wings of the Weird and Wonderful' and (to my old eyes) the rather prominent gunsight is omitted. I could be wrong. However, while maintaining the CG might be one consideration, removing it would improve visibility especially for deck landing/trials flying (and arguably for general flying). Sorry this is not conclusive.

Mike

Mike

Thanks Mike, absolutely no need to apologise, this is really helpful and also sounds like I have a book missing from my library  :hmmm:

Good call, I re-checked my photo references too and gut feel also says it would probably be left off in this situation (I reckon Winkle would probably give it a go without one anyway if another juicy Condor came his way!)

Cheers again,

Torben

Nice progress! I think your cockpit looks great! It just looks right regardless of the "heavy wash".

No comment on the gunsight -- I don't quite understand your question, but did want to acknowledge it.

Thanks Shaka, appreciated - Mike's answer should hopefully clarify my original question

Cheers, Torben