Zoukei-mura Dornier Do335 A-0 Pfeil

Iain

Work in progress for one of the mags - great kit - lots of detail - slow build due to complexity.

Lots of fun though!

Cockpit, fuel tank bay and rear engine:

post-260-0-02134200-1466542385_thumb.jpg

Fuselage buttoned up - I really hate working with large chunks of clear plastic:

post-260-0-03468800-1466542473_thumb.jpg

Wings and tail parts all done as well - so should have a complete airframe over next few days.

Iain

Hi Bill - no - will be painted - you can already see the inside has been sprayed silver before the other interior colours.

However - I plan to leave the port side cowling panels open to show the engines. That fuel cell will be hidden - if it weren't for a mag article I could have saved a lot of time not painting/fitting a lot of the internal detail.

Spaced Marine - not surprised - the clear plastic is brittle and will crack easily - have to be very careful removing parts from sprues.

Iain

Hi Bill - no - will be painted - you can already see the inside has been sprayed silver before the other interior colours.

However - I plan to leave the port side cowling panels open to show the engines. That fuel cell will be hidden - if it weren't for a mag article I could have saved a lot of time not painting/fitting a lot of the internal detail.

Spaced Marine - not surprised - the clear plastic is brittle and will crack easily - have to be very careful removing parts from sprues.

Iain

Nice job Iain - the closed up ali painted fuselage has a certain ghost-like look, maybe due to the lighting.

I think I read long ago that all polystyrene plastic is clear and brittle, as we see in our canopies etc. that we try not to chip when removing from their sprues.

It's the addition of pigment and plasticisers that determine the colour and its pliability.

I don't think anyone has developed a transparent versions yet.

Indeed - clear plastic tends to be more brittle in nature - this is at the more brittle end of that scale - fresh scalpel blade, or razor saw rather than sprue cutters.

Don't ask how I know!  ;)

Iain

A little more on the Do 335 Pfeil ("Arrow")...

• Wings and tail - on...
  • Fuel tank bonded and cover installed.
  • Front engine ready for final paint and weathering...
  • Balance checked and she'll easily be a 'nose-sitter' now  :)

Nose engine dry fit to check balance:

post-260-0-15347100-1466863531_thumb.jpg

Airframe:

post-260-0-02946200-1466863564_thumb.jpg

post-260-0-87443500-1466863622_thumb.jpg

Have fun!

Iain

It's coming along nicely, Iain!

A couple of questions...

How is the fit of the wing fillet? I found it interesting that Z-M molded (moulded) it as a separate part.

Is that additional weight I see on the side of the cockpit? Where else did you add it?