BAE Lightning F.3 Build: 5mm Makes A Difference

Uncarina

I will be working on the Trumpeter F.1A/F.3 kit. This will be a positive build in the sense that I am grateful for the opportunity to build this kit and make the most of it, while hopefully surmounting the challenges it entails. I will be building the F.3 version, and I have a few decal sets and aftermarket Eduard. Thanks (in no particular order) to the work of Andrew Abshier, Iain Ogilvie, Eric Galliers, Derek Bradshaw, and others, I've put together this list of changes I plan to make (note: I will update and edit this list since I will invariably miss something):

Fuselage:

Five millimeters short. I've cut each fuselage half at around the midpoint and added a 5mm insert (pics to follow).

Spine: should taper in height and width from back of canopy to the base of the tail (working on this now, pics to follow).

Rivets: have to study this more, but it looks like I will be removing them.

Exhausts: when seen from the rear, the fuselage is 1.5mm too narrow on each side at the narrowest point. I will add filler here.

Belly tank: too wide, short, and deep. I will add and remove to shape.

Vents and holes: need to be drilled out and appropriate inserts added.

Intake trunk: does not meet the intake ring. I will have to either insert a spacer or move the trunk forward 5mm.

Cable conduit fairings: need to be lengthened forward 6.7cm (for F.3 version).

Rudder:

Depending on which version I build, I will modify the shape accordingly.

Stabs:

Need to be reshaped.

Wings:

Too thick in chord; I will sand to shape.

Depending on what I've read, the wings are 5mm too far forward. However, I've lengthened the fuselage 5mm where the wings attach to the fuselage so I will have to reposition accordingly.

Wing kink? Is there a pronounced kink in the wing for these versions? If so, I will have to work on this.

Rivets: Looks like I will be removing them.

Landing gear:

Nose gear bay: located 5mm too far back. If I move the intake trunk forward this would solve this issue, but create new ones...

Main landing gear struts: 5mm too long. I will either modify the kit's version or scratchbuild.

The main landing gear wheels are too large in diameter but too narrow in width. I've ordered the Mastercasters wheels.

Cockpit/Canopy:

Canopy sill: 2.5mm too wide on each side.

Canopy: Too rounded in profile and too wide. I will use Iain's work as a guide to reshaping.

Miscellaneous:

Refueling probe: missing, needs to be scratchbuilt (for F.3 version).

Anything else? Your input and support are much appreciated, and I will be posting pics soon!

Cheers, Tom

Edited by Uncarina

Here's what I have so far. First, some of the accessories and references I've accumulated. Note that both books contain wonderful line drawings from Richard Caruana, which are unfortunately inaccurate and perhaps used by Trumpeter when making the kit.

DSC02870_zpsn5qww9iv.jpg

DSC02864_zpsgqogo1v4.jpg

Here's my work on the fuselage so far. I've inserted the 5mm plug, reshaped the spine, and started working on the belly tank.

DSC02865_zpsmxw8qsub.jpg

DSC02866_zps2dolk3sq.jpg

DSC02869_zps5l19ahj2.jpg

In the picture above looking forward you can see where I need to add material, and I've sanded the starboard side until the plastic is quite thin. There's a noticeable difference between the halves though it might not be apparent in the picture.

DSC02868_zpsvgwqdeni.jpg

Here you can see the pinched aft end, which I will be using a template to reform.

Cheers,  Tom

Did you lengthen the wing slots so the wing ends up 5mm further aft too?

Lee,

I was planning to move the wings aft, but after I've assembled the wings so I can double-check the fit and position. I read that the wing position of the unmodified kit is 5 mm too far forward. With my plug I've pushed it another 5mm forward. Does this mean I should move the wings back 10 mm or somewhere in between?

Cheers, Tom

Edited by Uncarina

The Aires jetpipe set will help correct the rear fuselage (mis)shape.

Chek, I'm actually passing on the Aires set due to the price, but I have purchased the Mastercasters exhaust set. I might have to do some scratchbuilding here, but in the meantime I made a template and added Magic Sculpt.

Thanks, Tom

Lee,

I was planning to move the wings aft, but after I've assembled the wings so I can double-check the fit and position. I read that the wing position of the unmodified kit is 5 mm too far forward. With my plug I've pushed it another 5mm forward. Does this mean I should move the wings back 10 mm or somewhere in between?

Cheers, Tom

Tom, you might need to double check on other builds, but, I believe that if you match your wing's trailing edges to the profile molded on the fuselage halves, your wings should be where they should be. I really need to double check this myself, as I have this kit too, and want to minimize my potential mistakes!  :goodjob: