A Texan in the Heart of Darkness - T-6G in Biafran war

dutik

The nice part of the paintjob: the jam session with oils :yahoo:

Goal is a worn and weathered look. Tropical sun, dust, austere conditions, heavy combat duties...

Used some light browns, two grays, two greens, yellow and white. Left the red, violet, black and blue in the box. Made a good number of small paint dots with wooden toothpicks and brushed them with a wide brush soaked in turpentine along the airflow. Take care to soak off any turpentine pooling with a clear dry brush, which are common at the wing edges and in recesses. Added some extra streaks too. Wings are ready; fuselage and tail to follow.

biafra36a7sus.jpg

Close up:

biafra34nxsmw.jpg

Close up of the still clean parts:

biafra35h8sx0.jpg

Enjoy

- dutik

Incoming! Take cover!

biafra37otkzk.jpg

Finished the weathering last weekend. The oil paints just had to dry for some days. A clearcoat, a little bit of paneel lining, some pastels (gunsmoke, eyhaust stains, some dust here and there) and another clearcoat. Vallejo Air Aluminium brushpainted at the canopy frames. Then I peeled the masks off...

biafra38z5jze.jpg

Port side looks good! Starbord has one window with dust and another with some smear. First idea were glue residues from the masking paint. Tried to rub it of with isopropanol, aka Tamiya acryl thinner, but it is from the inside... :deadhorse:

Pondering my options  :hmmm:  I think I will mask the walls around the canopy then try to cut off the front part with a new blade to clean it from inside, then reglue again.

My handmade gun sight behind the front window :yahoo:

biafra4244kmr.jpg

biafra39vtk7z.jpg

Lower side:

biafra40tzjaf.jpg

UC bay detail:

biafra41f7jou.jpg

OK. Let's start to build the UC and add some bombs :)

Enjoy!

- dutik

• 1 month later...

Will at the weekend try to remove the canopy section behind the windscreen (cut it off, to be correct) to clean it from inside (greasy fingerprint) and to remove dust from inside of the other clear parts. Feels like operating at an open heart. Anything is possible from scratches to breaking and worder...

Wish me good luck and a steady hand!

Regards

- dutik

The emergency procedures were considered a full success. Opened, cleaned and sealed again the greenhouse without doing harm to the clear parts in the process :yahoo:

Now doing some more prosaic work:

biafra43shas0.jpg

Building and painting the undercarriage. Only two weeks left until the upcoming exhibition!

Regards

- dutik

Standing on my own now:

biafra449tjdl.jpg

UC struts are a bit flimsy in the lower part around the wheel. Fit and alignment are not great, but good. Struts and othe metal parts are aluminium with a brown wash. Wheels were painted German grey, wheatered with "Vietnam earth" pigments and clearcoated with Ultra matt ernish by Vallejo.

So whats left?

Touch-ups of the canopy frames - add some more paint here, polish off some too-much paint there.

Underwing stores.

Rigging of the antennas and break lines.

The prop.

Will do the touch-upsd and the prop as next step. Rigging and stores maybe in April. Boxing in the model inbetween to take it to an exhibition.

Regards

- dutik

• 2 weeks later...

Working on the underwing stores:

biafra45fvs7y.jpg

These are 50kg bombs from Dragons Bf-110 kit.

Wait, what? German bombs at an ex-French plane? Oh my dear! Shocking! :fight:

Not so much. The bomb racks are type "Alsace Schloss 50 mod. 46", which is a french made post-war version of the German light bomb rack of WW2. Used on the Texan, the Toucan (french made Ju-52) and a third one... So we are fine with German bombs too :rolleyes:

The very plain kit bomb racks still need some more detailling to look like the real deal. Stay tuned.

Regards

- dutik

• 1 month later...

What did you do at the weekend?

- Building some bombs and fusing them.

OK, we expect a surprise visit from Homeland Security... :oops:

biafra468is2g.jpg

Ready now. Dragon bombs, Kitty Hawk bomb racks (modified), Evergreen styrene braces, CMK resin nuts, fuse props punched out of PE remnants with Micromarks gourgeous Micro Punch set and cut into propeller shape with my trusty tungsten bladed scissor. A multinational effort, indeed :speak_cool:

If you need a punch and die set with larger punches than the common modelling sets then look for Micromarks. Largest die is 5,0 mm diameter, which is larger than any other set I know. Highly recommended!

Regards

- dutik