"Die Bergung" 2/JG400 Germany 1945 - Schlepper work

Out2gtcha

Saw this earlier when you first posted it but I'm just getting to read through it now Brian.

I'm liking the already you took to three seeing joint and I'll have to remember that for when i build the one in my stash.

For the hard edge mottling, Airwaves did a PE mask/template. That might work out for you. I have one of you want to borrow it. There's several patterns of mottling on it.

You made fitting the Aires cockpit tub look like a walk in the park.

I can't wait to see more.

Carl

Saw this earlier when you first posted it but I'm just getting to read through it now Brian.

I'm liking the already you took to three seeing joint and I'll have to remember that for when i build the one in my stash.

For the hard edge mottling, Airwaves did a PE mask/template. That might work out for you. I have one of you want to borrow it. There's several patterns of mottling on it.

You made fitting the Aires cockpit tub look like a walk in the park.

I can't wait to see more.

Carl

Thanks Carl!   It was no walk in the park, at least until I got done shaving it down. If you've ever used anything Aires, than you probably know the struggle which I had. :lol:

Well, I got the fuselage w/wings mostly together..............AKA I got the bottom seam together. It was tight, and things did NOT want to fit all together with the engine,  mounts, AM cockpit and the skid box, it was all too much, so I had to get the bottom seam together that had the skid box in it, and now that that is dry, Ill button up the top seam with the cockpit, and see how it goes.

Wish me luck! 

Ill update with pics tomorrow, but lets just say I NOW KNOW why so many people have said they have had fit issues with this kit...............

I calculated there are 10 separate pieces that make up the exterior skin (NOT including the two piece canopy!) of this tiny model. Even in 32nd its got a teeny tiny wingspan. 

That cockpit is great Brian !

I just realized that the pilot sat just between 2 "explode-stoff" tanks... given the highly toxic (even corrosive for one of the 2 if i remember correctly) nature of the product that's just freightening.... (of course, if the tanks were behind him, it would not change anything, but mentally it's scary !)

Thanks guys.......Yes, Nicolas, VERY frightening indeed!   I  cant even imagine that Titanium spheres it would have taken to fly one of these on the regular.................Seems it would have only been a matter of time before you felt like it was just a matter of time before it either exploded on the runway, or you got blasted gliding down on the return trip from a mission.

Pics in just a bit when I get done uploading them. 

Well, the air-frame is now complete. BUT, not without a VERY high cuss factor. As I said before, I now know why so many people say they have fit problems with this kit. It was not till I got to gluing the top of the model together, before I found out just HOW hard it was going to be.

With the fuselage separated into 4 major parts, then add the nose cone, 3 removable back panels on the spine of the aircraft, along with having to level out two quarter windows, that brings the total exterior panels to 10. That is NOT counting the canopy, which OOB is a very frustrating two part affair, which I have obligingly replaced with the Ally-Cat resin one piece replacement part.  That part number is an exceptionally high number IMHO, and is what leads to so many fit issues, as if you dont have each one aligned "just so" it throws the fit off of ALL the rest of the parts.

I glued the bottom first with a bit of CA to hold things in place, and the internals slathered in JB Weld. This was to facilitate holding the lower skid bay together, and flush with the sides of the fuselage.

THEN, the plan was to simply pinch the top of the fuse together behind the cockpit, then later add the 3 spine panels. 

As it turned out, it took EVERY BIT of my strength to pinch close the top of the fuse. And this was even AFTER I eliminated or ground off a lot of the inner detail parts. I cant imaging trying to stuff all that stuff in there and have it all work.

I very well may have caused some of my own fit headaches by trying to include the Aires pit, as well as possible internal components misplacement, but at this point, I did not see anything internal out of place unless it came loose after I glued the first side in.

Anyway, that is all moot now, as I do finally have the air frame together. As I said above it took ALL my strength to close off the top of the fuselage behind the cockpit, and what I did was use some drops of medium CA to hold things in place with some kicker, and had the internal parts again slathered in JB Weld to prevent any joints popping loose after things got situated as the model is being handled in the future.

Either way, Its all together for better or worse. The 3 spine panels did fit, but not super well, as I ended up with several minor steps to deal with after the install, that required some MS 500, and some judicious sanding after things cured:

2016-07-17%2021.14.31.jpg

2016-07-17%2021.14.42.jpg

2016-07-17%2021.16.09.jpg

The rear rocket nozzle exit needed some filler too, as I had a clamp on it that left some unfortunate marks, as well as having a noticable seam under the rudder, and under/over the exhaust itself:

2016-07-17%2021.15.10.jpg

All in all, the main thing I was concerned about (how the Aires pit looked and fit in the end) when finished gluing things together was alleviated, as the cockpit (MINUS the forward IP console cover that has the gun sight in it) looks great in situation, and has 0 gaps on either side:

2016-07-17%2021.17.39.jpg

2016-07-17%2021.17.45.jpg

2016-07-17%2021.17.58.jpg

While the MS dried on the air-frame, I also got the skid painted and weathered. Even though it will be covered when the Me-163 is placed on the dio base, I still like the way the weathering turned out on it (It actually looks better in person than in pics too):

2016-07-17%2021.27.02.jpg

2016-07-17%2021.27.10.jpg

2016-07-17%2021.27.41.jpg

All for now guys, as I have to take the X to work................which actually means more work on the 163 after I get off!

Cheers guys

That really sucks Brian!  :(

Not sure why - but I had very few fit problems with mine - I used the kit cockpit - cut up and detailed then rebuilt. As mentioned previously I did as you did with the wings - assembled to separate fuselage halves. Then, once halves assembled I did the upper covers before adding the tail. Had to do a little fettling at that joint before bonding the tail on - but only needed a 'wipe' with some Milliput into the joints and all was good. I think adding the photo-etch latches for the upper panels caused me the most stress!!

Those rear cockpit windows fitted well on mine - just needed careful positioning prior to running solvent into the joint. I used that standard canopy as well - but with a permanent marker run around the edge of the glazing prior to attaching the frame to make it all look like one part, with no joint reflection...

You're on the home run now - and she's looking great - and that cockpit is a stunner!  :thumbsup:

She'll be worth it!!!

Iain

Thanks guys!  Yes, Im sure due to the Aires pit, and my own idiocy, Im sure I cause at least some of my own fit issues. TBH I really didnt feel like fiddling with the two part OOB canopy, and yes the Alley-Cat copy is quite nice.

Its thickness is pretty decent, and the shape is DEAD on, and fits exceptionally well into the now smoothed canopy opening on the model. The only issue on the Alley-cat canopy is clarity. 

Its not bad, but will REALLY benefit from a good polish up with my NOVUS system polishes.   After that, a good dunk in Future/Pledge Floor care should put it in the very acceptable range.

After I get a good sanding to the 163 air-frame, Im going to put it aside for just a bit, and get a start on the Schlepper and lifting trailer. My plan is to have them all generally ready for paint about the same time, that way I can use the raw models for sizing and placement on the dio base.

Cheers! 

Hi Brian - wasn't suggesting it was anything you'd done - suspect I was just a little lucky given all the other feedback I've seen on the Meng model.

Just finishing my Schlepper now - it's an interesting (and very 'different') build! 

Iain

Hi Brian - wasn't suggesting it was anything you'd done - suspect I was just a little lucky given all the other feedback I've seen on the Meng model.

Just finishing my Schlepper now - it's an interesting (and very 'different') build! 

Iain

Indeed it looks fabulous Iain!  No, Im sure the Aires pit contributed to some degree. Otherwise the fit was really good, including the fit of the Aires pit in the tub itself. The problem really only was at the top/back of the fuse right behind the quarter windows.