"Die Bergung" 2/JG400 Germany 1945 - Schlepper work

Out2gtcha

Andy, Martin, thanks for the kind words.  It seems like Ive been slacking on the updates, but my feeling is im moving right along on this one in reality. Most all of the pit parts are complete, and I only am awaiting the HGW belts............

While the remainder of the cockpit parts dried, I applied some RLM02 to the inside rear around the upper fuselage, where the top of the T-stoff tank sits, then applied some black to the whole of the T-stoff tank assembly, bulkhead and rocket motor, as no panels will be open, and non of it will show. Black only to defuse things, and some burnt iron on the exhaust end of the rocket motor, as that will (literally) be the only thing out of all this showing when done.

I also took a super tiny micro tube with a larger spur gear on it from my collection of 10g or so of "watch internals" i bought off e-bay, and glued it to the vent tube tip behind the exhaust opening, after dremeling off the spur gear. Only the very tip of the vent tube, and the end of the rocket motor will be seen:

2016-07-12%2012.25.33.jpg

2016-07-12%2012.25.46.jpg

Next up are the finished IP, and side consoles:

2016-07-12%2012.27.06.jpg

2016-07-12%2012.27.11.jpg

2016-07-12%2012.27.18.jpg

All for now, as I decided Im going to wait till the HGW seatbelts come in, as it will be MUCH easier to mount the seat while the cockpit is apart from the fuselage. Im going to continue to work on the skid and skid retraction mechanism that will need to be finished prior to the fuselage being closed up anyway.

Cheers! 

Finally!   Got in my HGW seatbelts, and with the X having a new job she started from 1PM to 11PM, I had pretty much had all night to work on getting the belts cut out, threaded through the buckles, then applied a gloss, oil color, then a flat.

Pics soon, as I am ready to install the belts now on the seat, then will be able to install the seat in the cockpit tub. Once that is complete, I can move onto assembling the rest of the internal structures, then will be able to work toward closing up the fuselage.

Pics soon

Edited by Out2gtcha

Agreed Andy.................it has been a LONG time coming. Hopefully it will last and she can raise some money to get her own place!!

Last night was ALL about the Me-163s cockpit. I wanted to finish this part off, as it is really the only major thing standing between me and getting the fuselage closed up...........which is a big milestone in the build, since the wings are attached already, this will give me a great idea of size and placement of the 163 on the dio base.

The only thing between me and finishing the pit off was unmasking the rear quarter windows, getting the seat belts on the seat, and finally getting the seat installed on the base, and side panels assembled onto the main tub.

I got in the Me-163 HGW seat belts yesterday, and went straight to work on them. Got them installed and placed on the seat, then got the seat installed in the pit. This was indeed a TIGHT fit, but it worked out in the end, if not as perfect as I would have hoped, but that is ALWAYS the case.

Belts came out good in the end, if not a tad dirtier than I initially intended, but the HGW fabric belts are some of the most realistic looking belts on the market IMHO:

DSC05778.jpg

DSC05780.jpg

DSC05781.jpg

DSC05783.jpg

DSC05785.jpg

Next was getting the two cockpit sidewalls installed. In progress here, with a much better view into the pit than when both walls are on:

DSC05786.jpg

DSC05787.jpg

After assembling the sidewalls and main tub, I took a straight razor and scrapped off some of the bumps and lumps on the outside of the whole thing where  the side walls and main tub met, to get a better fit. Finally it was time to see how the Aires pit fit into the air-frame. 
I have YET to buy and install ANY Aires pit that didn't need some kind of trimming or shaping to get it to fit right. This cockpit was no exception.

After scraping quite a bit of material off the lower front section of the main tub, and countless time dry-fitting things, I eventually got to an acceptable fit, and with some very light finger pressure, there are no seams at all...................not even any seems between the Aires pit sidewalls and the inside of the fuselage:

DSC05788.jpg

DSC05789.jpg

DSC05790.jpg

All for now lads, as I will be back on the dio tonight, and hopefully will have the fuselage and all required internals glued together. Hopefully

Thanks Dutik!    They are indeed a PITA to assemble, but worth it IMHO.  Ill be working on putting the fuselage together tonight.  Hopefully by the time Im back to work on Monday, Ill have a fully assembled air-frame!