Future Builds Advice Please?

Mence

Hello all.

It's been a very long time since I registered and posed a couple of questions to you good fellows. Things sort of went off the rails a little for a while which coincided with my modeling mojo taking a nose dive and me never starting a large scale plane.

Anyway, I'm back now and currently working through my first ever 1/32 wingy build, Kitty Hawks OV-10D.

But, my thoughts do turn to what I might tackle after or maybe even during this build so, can I ask your views on a couple of kits? I know I can read in box reviews but I thought I might try to get a 'been there, done that' view from you learned chaps.

So, the kits in question...

Trumps A-7E, I'm ware of the intake / nose issue, is it that noticeable, that much of a deal breaker?

Thumps A-10A, spare cockpit which I guess I can sort, anything else?

Academy F-16, any good or is Tamiya's better?

That's it, your thoughts on all or any of the above are greatly appreciated, it's nice to be back...

Edited by Mence

Trumpeter's A-10 has some issues around the nose too.

I've built the Academy Falcon and it was a great build. Tamiya's is a little better though. But Academy is a lot cheaper ;)

Welcome back btw.

Edited by logical

The A-7 is pretty bad with the squashed intake and canopy looking like it was copied from the old Aurora (later Monogram) 1/48 kit. I think the main problem with the A-10 is the canopy, for which Squadron made a vac replacement, and some dodgy weapons.

Although the Acadamy F-16 has some issues with the intakes, overall it's a nice, well fitting, and detailed kit with a good selection of weapons. Of the 3 listed, I think the Academy F-16 is the best option by far. HTH.

Hmm, if you are open to other suggestions and want a jet, the Academy F/A-18C Hornet is a nice kit

The Trumpeter A-6A is also very good but quite a big project to take on (still havent quite got mine to the finish line...)

Edited by petrov27

The A-10 looks like an A-10 and builds real easy. The cockpit is crap. Right now on eBay there is a Cutting Edge cockpit and exterior resin set for this kit. Jump on it because they don't make this anymore. Forget the weapons that come with the kit and get aftermarket if you can afford it. If you want resin wheels instead of the vinyl tires, Cutting Edge did have a set but it is OOP. In a pinch you could use F-15 wheel set. Use the ammo can as a ballast container (I use lead duck shot) to keep it from being a tail sitter and for the coup de grace Master makes a gun muzzle that's a real killer (pun intended). There is a Verlinden and True Details ( ex Black Box) resin cockpit but I'd avoid them unless they're all you can find.

It just "looks like" an A-10!

The canopy is awfully inaccurate, the nose is too fat, the cockpit is ridiculous, the seams under the wing ends are terrible, the rivets of the fuselage end should be restored after assembly, the flaps and ailerons system is non-existent, the antenna are a weird mix of pre-LASTE ones with later GPS, the wheel wells look like 1/72 ones, the weapons are useless, etc.

I may go on for some pages but I already did it when I made the tweak list for this dog!

Even with expensive correction sets, I would never recommend this kit as a new start. This is just a way to be disgusted.

If you want to build an US jet that will look OK, that is not too expensive or asking for tons of correction sets, go for an Academy Hornet or even a Viper. They are not perfect but offer an excellent value for money. If you are ready to spend a little bit more money, get a Tamiya Viper or an F-15E.

Hth

Thierry

Thank you so much for your views and advice. :)

I guess it to a degree comes down to me, whether I am happy to build with a few revisions or to leave well alone as the inaccuracies might be something that eats away at me while I'm building it diluting the modeling experience.

I guess for now I will save my hard earned pennies and avoid at least two of them which of course leaves me no further forward but certainly, a lot better off!

Thanks again guys, very much appeciated.