Why I enjoy the "old" kits.

richter111

Guest Clunkmeister

Speaking of ancient kits, I don't know why, but the old Williams bros. kits just keep talking to me.  My first "real" build was the Wedell-Williams racer, and when I say 'real', I mean took my time, mixed custom paint, rigged with stretched sprue, etc.

No pics of it, since my ex used it for BP along with some of my other stuff, but it looked pretty darn good.

The old Revell?? 1/32 Wildcat was a pain though. I never could get the LG to hold the weight of the model. It probably had something to do with me melting the little parts and turning them to rubber with too much Testors tube glue.

also, at first, we were limited with paint availability. The only paints available to us were Testors gloss primary colors in full gloss, plus flat black.

My first spray can of Testors silver was a revelation to me....

Edited by Clunkmeister

I like the old Revell kits too....I see nothing wrong with them in the broad sense...why ?, because I don't have every panel line and subtle curve of every WWII aircraft committed to memory, and those who view them don't either...they know enough to recognize the model as a Mustang or Messerschmidt and that's plenty good enough...lol. Sure they get some cleanup and a few details added in, but I don't need or want to go crazy with basic and cleanly built "display" models.( well done paint, markings and weathering is what people see,... they know not if the cockpit floor was metal or wood, or how many rivets should be seen on a wing.. :) The low price, in most cases, makes them a great value for my hobby dollar. Embrace them, enjoy them and have fun !

Hear Hear. A man after my own heart.

Stephen

I'll never forget that magical summer, the first sighting of the Revell flying tiger at Woolworths. The agony of saving up the dough to buy it, and finding out about Testors "Military flats".

Then the Spitfire and of course the shockingly cool Bf 109. Pure ten year old joy. I haven't built anything in close to thirty years, and thanks to a chance discovery of LSP and you wildly talented

gentlemen, not to mention Ebay, I'm diving back in. Wish me luck gents. Rolling hot,

Gee,

These old kits are what they are! For some of us old gits, they have a place in our hearts that is far more than concerns over mere accuracy and complexity! They, and especially their box arts, are the reason why we were attracted to the hobby in the first place!! We cut our teeth and fingers on them, learned how to mix colours from the basic ones available, how to bond and fill balsa wood with dope and talc, setting the foundations for what was to come.

For us ancients, moulding a new canopy or sanding off rivets, hand painting our own codes or sharks teeth, cutting brushes down so we could stipple camo blotches, holds no fear!

Which is why we snarl a bit when kits are declared 'unbuildable' .... Ain't no such thing!!!!

Edited by wunwinglow

These old kits are what they are! For some of us old gits, they have a place in our hearts that is far more than concerns over mere accuracy and complexity! They, and especially their box arts, are the reason why we were attracted to the hobby in the first place!! We cut our teeth and fingers on them, learned how to mix colours from the basic ones available, how to bond and fill balsa wood with dope and talc, setting the foundations for what was to come.

For us ancients, moulding a new canopy or sanding off rivets, hand painting our own codes or sharks teeth, cutting brushes down so we could stipple camo blotches, holds no fear!

Which is why we snarl a bit when kits are declared 'unbuildable' .... Ain't no such thing!!!!

Hear hear !

31146_1504747180892_5236977_n.jpg?oh=e56

31996_1487016857645_3100542_n.jpg?oh=c4f

292234_3991154459520_966464262_n.jpg?oh=

423524_3155599371165_1382202516_n.jpg?oh

My favorite has to be the 69 Revell Stuka.. I can't tell you how many times I built that kit as a kid. here is a more recent rendition, built in the old-inaccurate scheme that I loved so much!!

IMG_5254_zpsfcc3cda8.jpgIMG_5255_zps78e10160.jpg

Have one sitting right in front of me ready to start at anytime,

Must finish the birdcage first.........

I miss the flash, ejector pins in the most prominent position and then there's the fit and alignment issues........

Add to the vintage collection 1973 original Airfix 1/24 P51D boxed........

makes me remember my very first build on here:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=13093&hl=

What a great build! Takes me back to when modelling was 0% work, 100% fun. One one these days I'll have to pull the Me-109 Gustav out of the stash and go old school on it. I'm afraid I'd have to pass on the tube glue, though!