Slow, Leisurely Arrow Z-M Do-335, 7/05 Update

Bill_S

Thanks, Spaced Marine! You'll enjoy this kit. Thus far, the only down side is the clear body parts - great if you want to build a see-through Do-335, but be forewarned... doing so will require removal of a LOT of ejector pin marks that would be hidden if the fuselage was painted.

Nose gear bay:

DSCN1126%5B1%5D.jpg

Bomb bay:

DSCN1129%5B1%5D.jpg

I thought it might be time for a test of center of gravity. I taped the fuselage together and placed items in their appropriate longitudinal spots.

DSCN1124%5B1%5D.jpg

It's a tail sitter at the moment, but not by much. I usually leave a few things off the front at this stage; if I can get it to sit properly without the canopy glass, front prop and engine panels, she'll rest on all three wheels.

Edited by Bill_S

• 3 weeks later...

A short update.

A word of advice: when cementing the front engine exhaust shrouds (parts F52, F53) to the engine, it would be a wise thing to slide the radiator shroud (part G28) over them before the glue sets. The fit here is tight, and any misalignment of the shrouds will lead to issues further down the road.

Do335_front_engine.jpg

Red: exhaust shroud

Blue: radiator shroud

I'm not always one to follow instructions to the letter. Z-M has a note about properly cementing the front engine bearers to the bulkhead (part G22) forward of the ammo magazines. I chose not to install this bulkhead, and instead cemented the engine bearers to it prior to adding it to the main assembly.

Because of the lead filling inside the engine, it allowed me to set the entire assembly on a flat surface while the cement dried.

I then taped the fuselage halves in place and cemented the engine/bulkhead to the rest of the innards. It gave me a good place to apply a rubber band while the cement for this part dried.

DSCN1161%5B1%5D.jpg

I set the entire fuselage over a vertical dowel while drying.

That's it for now - go have a look at Iain's build!

Edited by Bill_S

Great update Bill!   :thumbsup:

On mine I fitted the firewall to the fuselage after the two halves were added - and the engine unit later - but there are several ways to skin the cat.  :)

Exhaust shrouds on mine fitted perfectly - but good advice there for those that follow with regard to checking fit of shrouds withing the radiator shroud. Have to say I've dry fitted and dry fitted and dry fitted virtually everything on mine - complex build up of assemblies and one error can be magnified as the assemblies grow.

You may want to remove the primer from the wing root area - the fairings snap into place tightly - even a thin layer of paint may affect the fit.

Like the way you've fitted the rear engine rear engine mount prior to engine - didn't think of that - but looks like it should work well!

Iain

Great update Bill!   :thumbsup:

On mine I fitted the firewall to the fuselage after the two halves were added - and the engine unit later - but there are several ways to skin the cat.  :)

Exhaust shrouds on mine fitted perfectly - but good advice there for those that follow with regard to checking fit of shrouds withing the radiator shroud. Have to say I've dry fitted and dry fitted and dry fitted virtually everything on mine - complex build up of assemblies and one error can be magnified as the assemblies grow.

You may want to remove the primer from the wing root area - the fairings snap into place tightly - even a thin layer of paint may affect the fit.

Like the way you've fitted the rear engine rear engine mount prior to engine - didn't think of that - but looks like it should work well!

Iain

Thanks, Iain.

I have feared putting the fuse halves in place until I'm absolutely certain she won't sit on her tail.

I'll have to check fit of the wing roots; that clear plastic was driving my eyes batty and i had to do something!

As far as the rear engine rear mount - that thing was a bit fiddly when I was test fitting. It's cemented to the base, but the base won't be cemented to the rest until I get the engine mounted. There are a few pipes that need to go on first.

Lots of items get packed into that fuselage. Once I get that together, I think it will be quick work to get it looking like a Pfiel.