T-33A Shooting Star build Czech Model

dmthamade

Thanks for the encouraging comments, guys!! Pit is in its final resting place, time to fit the wing subassembly. Fitted in the lower rear looks good thanks to the spreader bar. There is a gap at the wing roots on the tops of the wings. I'll fix this with another spreader bar .

IMG_5140_zpsxlwr9lja.jpg

I'll still have to force the wings up at the wing tips, but i should be fill free on these joints. The front lower joint.....looks like work.

Don

The instrument panels i can't take credit for, they're kit parts by Eduard. I did fill the lenses with Bondic after giving them a flat coat. Looking forward to your updates, Derek. I did manage to assemble the wing subassembly to the fuselage. Between the two spreader bars and LOTS of dryfit/sanding/filing repeat a LOT, i was able to get a fill free joint at the wing roots.

IMG_5144_zpsj5xskkxp.jpg

IMG_5145_zps21xo5eem.jpg

I had to help to close the gap with elastics and gator clips.

IMG_5143_zpso3igfi4z.jpg

The bottom rear joint is very good as well, you can see two spots that will need a touch of fill, but otherwise, no fill.

IMG_5146_zpsvbtdeznv.jpg

The lower front joint will need work, was able to get a shim in place that helps eliminate a gap. Some panel lines fall on seams so it should go fairly easy here.

IMG_5147_zpsggxl7flg.jpg

I was going to take a break, but will keep going. I have a feeling if i stop i may never pick this back up again. Next will be seam cleanup and rear stabilizers.

Don

It's been a while since i've updated, i have been able to attach the stabs, prime and do the first color coat.

IMG_5150_zps5a6bck2w.jpg

Now this was going to be a grey jet, but i won't do another one of these kits, too much of a PITA. I have lots of grey jets already, and the mods are Canadian, so an Aircraft Grey USAF bird is out. Going with a NMF Canadian bird, much more colorful than a grey jet and just looks so good. I have enough decals to do a bird from the AETE in Cold Lake, Alta.

IMG_5149_zpsvckac9xj.jpg

I found the seams on the wing all cleaned up easily, did this last night. This AM i primed with Tamiya Surface Primer grey, waited an hour and sprayed with Tamiya TS-17 Gloss Aluminum. Looks lighter and glossier than the usual AS-12, but just as tough and durable. This is dry now, going to get a burrito then start in with the red and black. I should hopefully be done with those this evening, will gloss, then hopefully decals tomorrow.

Don

Silky smooth Don...looks like you're hitting the home stretch.

Good choice of finish paint.

Rich

Always happy with how Tamiya spray bombs perform, Rich!! I can't get better results with an airbrush!!

Great progress on your build Don. That's a very nice colour cost on there.

You're absolutely right about it not being a shake and bake kit.

Carl

Definitley not shake n bake, i have other words to describe this kit.......Spent most of the late noon/early evening putting paint to the build. The red IIRC is more a red/orange, so i added some yellow to the red. For some reason the reds are showing up as orange, really isn't that orangey. I am starting to breathe a little easier now, with paint on i think the light at the end of the tunnel isn't an oncoming train. Will clear coat tonight and hopefully decal tomorrow.

IMG_5151_zpsvcfyo5td.jpg

Don

Edited by dmthamade