T-33A Shooting Star build Czech Model

dmthamade

Must have hit my head, i'm going to try the much maligned CM Shooting Star. I've tried dryfitting the parts for this several times but always shelved it. This time i'll make an effort. Archives show many have been started, few finished, IIRC John B was the last to complete one to a great finish. I have a few decals to select from, as well as the kit decals which do look really good.

IMG_5063_zpseg85qltu.jpg

IMG_5064_zpsvbutq6vd.jpg

IMG_5065_zps3bvq0g3r.jpg

IMG_5066_zpsagcalvoc.jpg

I am leaning towards this one

IMG_5067_zpswav58et1.jpg

or the Texas ANG bird

Don

Guest Peterpools

Don

Looking forward to following your T-Bird build. Two being built on the forum at the same time ... WOW!

Johns build surely must have a powerful catalyst. :wicked:

Keep 'em coming

Peter

So, three builds going on at once for the nefarious T-bird!!... i wonder if we can get a group rate on mental therapy....'cause it's that kind of kit....Looking through the decals i was going to do one of the ANG birds, but the Leading Edge decals has a 50th Anniversary bird. Didn't see that on the color print sheet, saw it on the actual sheet and instruction sheet.

IMG_5068_zpsmeyihh1a.jpg

Been a while since i've done a grey jet, this one is a very clean jet, and it's a Canadian bird. I'll do this one. Looking forward to the builds, Carl and Derek, should be fun.

Don

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Guess I'm old enough to claim CRS.

Three it is

Keep 'em comig

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

So, three builds going on at once for the nefarious T-bird!!... i wonder if we can get a group rate on mental therapy....'cause it's that kind of kit....Looking through the decals i was going to do one of the ANG birds, but the Leading Edge decals has a 50th Anniversary bird. Didn't see that on the color print sheet, saw it on the actual sheet and instruction sheet.

Been a while since i've done a grey jet, this one is a very clean jet, and it's a Canadian bird. I'll do this one. Looking forward to the builds, Carl and Derek, should be fun.

Don

Hi Don,

Yes it should be fun indeed!  I'm all set to watch your progress sir.

-Derek

Carl

Guess I'm old enough to claim CRS.

Three it is

Keep 'em comig

Peter

Peter, it's more that I started this last year but set it aside. I did keep looking at the kit on and off figuring out where the fit problems are and how can I minimize them.

First John's build and now with Don and Derek starting have sort of pushed it back to the forefront and made me want to get going again.

Edited by BloorwestSiR

Progress!! Started in on the intakes, there was a LOT of cleanup on the ductwork, intake part, and louvers. Didn't use much if any fill, by sweating the parting lines and fit i was able to get all the internals parts together with two spots of Mr. Surfacer.

IMG_5069_zpsetmsqe3z.jpg

IMG_5070_zpsjxdjils4.jpg

Areas indicated in red show where most of the work was done.

IMG_5073_zps1i3vqcu5.jpg

IMG_5074_zpsqxvrw9ll.jpg

It was a lot of scraping, sanding, filing, dryfitting...repeat as needed.... to the 100th power....until i got to this point.

IMG_5081_zpsubwq28dr.jpg

IMG_5082_zpsgykvyowr.jpg

IMG_5083_zpscbjyqudp.jpg

The resin louvers i fitted but didn't install yet. I drilled holes in the fuselage behind their location so i can install then glue in place from behind with super glue and seal on the front with Mr. Surfacer. I did it this was so they wouldn't interfere with clamping and flexing of the intake parts. I should be able to finish these with a minimum of Mr. Surfacer, but no filler. The front curved areas of the intake aren't smooth to the fuselage, pics on walkarounds show these are surface mounted, so it isn't smoothed in here. I didn't glue the bottom rear of the intake part yet, going to see how it fits to the wing bottom before gluing it.

Don

Edited by dmthamade

Looking for references, came across these pics, lots of T-33 pics.

http://picssr.com/tags/t33a/interesting

Now i'm second guessing the pick of the Canadian bird....FS 16473 is available in Model Master Acryl, but is too dark and green. I did a mix with Tamiya paints a while back, blew the dust off the bottle, sprayed it and it still looks good....I'm thinking i could do another one of these, the intakes aren't as bad as i thought and if the rest isn't too bad i'd be willing to do another.

Don

Guest Peterpools

Very nice work on the intakes ... all the hard work in cleaning up the parts are surely going to pay off down the road.

Keep 'em coming

Peter