The joints from the top side:

photo_2_2.jpg

photo_2_1.jpg

photo_3_1.jpg

photo_4_1.jpg

photo_1_1.jpg

photo_1_2.jpg

photo_5_1.jpg

The ailerons are very nice, movable.... but, the stabilators - it`s hard to say, but i had to glue them. :| The journey was quite tough, but that was a better choice, rather than cutting off the fuselage tips for having (partial) access to the hinges of the stabilators. Moreover i glued the hinges so securely that i was not sure that i could remove them from the tiny accessing holes if i was to cut off the tips. So i`m leaving the stabilators like that, in neutral angle. :) They are not bad...

The edge near the left intake is also finally filled and sanded to an "acceptable" degree, i think. There were at least 4-5 filling/sanding exercises required. Btw the sealing bands along the CFTs are still not done, these are only the stripes for the intakes - small stripes from the transparent film that usually sits over a decal sheet. I plan to make the rest of the sealing lines from adhesive stripes, the easy way. And yeah, there is a tiny gnarly gap along this intake (the other looks flush with the CFT), i hope it will not look too contrasting after the painting.

photo_5.jpg

And i "glued" the edged-type pod to the right tip of the fuselage tail, but it`s still not glued properly so i could change it later... 

photo_4_2.jpg

A plate to imitate the slightly raised panel under the antenna. I sanded it quite much so it looks almost flush with the surface, but there are some very nice edges too:

photo_3_2.jpg

+ a sight through the vents, with flashlight, on a short clip:

Edited by F`s are my favs

Thanks Emil!

Thanks Jim!

I plan to spend the modeling time for another model, a very favorite jet of mine, a smaller one, but can't tell more details about that :)) Hopefully it will turn out into a lovely surprise.

And after that, the major things before the painting are basically the underwing pylons, the loadouts, and the canopy, which I plan to make them in tandem with the equipment of the nose bays. And a giant display base with a transparent top, at some stage... Some final touches like the vent behind the canopy, the antennas, the hook, the sealing of the CFTs, the two CFT vents, ... mmm, not that much. And, tomorrow I'll cover some critical areas with a very thin primer to see how they look...

Under a transparent coat of paint. And... guys, what should i do with the vertical stabilizers - glue them or not? How they look that way? The major gaps like they were before are covered up quite significantly, but still it`s not like it should be - the long stripes for the coverings are more visible than expected. I`m shifting to some 50+% into gluing them and then filling/sanding to make them flush. 

20170304_104317.jpg

20170304_104138.jpg

20170304_104204.jpg

20170304_105101.jpg

20170304_104445.jpg

20170304_104506.jpg

Yep, these dots are interesting... And how the rear part of the brake is slightly not flush with the surrounding area, maybe it was in motion in this exact moment. Btw I also noticed some long oil canning formations on the engine nacelles, onto the panel right behind the two squared accessing doors. Awesome pic again! TU!

On the real jest the speed brake sits on top of the fuselage and the edge you see is what shows when fully closed. The Tamiya kit is made wrong with the speed brake recessed  into the fuselage.

I always close mine the details are all wrong and I like the closed look. Depending on the period the speed brake is either a webbed metal part or now a composite with a modeled structure on the underside.

Edited by ghatherly

Guest Peterpools

Milan

Looking real good for sure. On the verticals stabilizer question, I would remove the tape and fill in the gap and scribe a separation line if needed.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

TU 4 the advice. The v. stabilizers are flush with the fuselage and that's why I added these thin stripes, to cover the seamlines a little more, which they did, but are yet visible like stripes...

Yeah, maybe I'll glue the vert. stabilizers. 2 issues come along with it - a much higher box for storage, and a plausible chance of grainy effect from turbulent paint during the painting. But I'll have to deal with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Hi, not much of an update, but just to share an article in Aeroscale about how i made the moveable landing gears in the Harrier. I remember that earlier in this topic (once upon a time... :))) ) i gave more insight into the magnets, etc., and there is some more in the article, about the closing of the landing gear doors and the motion of the pylons. Check it out. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! The loadouts are just about done. The spring guides at the tips of the missile rails for the 2nd pylon are still not done, but couldn`t resist to take some pics now :) So, the beautiful GTR missile rails are again attached with a strut in the middle for greater structural support. The fuel tanks and the big bombs(still not ready) are detachable, i basically made all the "vertical" loadouts detachable, via magnets in the holders. The missiles are attached simply with a pressfit, thanks to 2 pins per missile that enter in the rails. The fuel tanks are with oil canning effect - here is the difference - one is texturised, the other is as it is oob:

photo_1.jpg

photo_2.jpg

photo_3.jpg

And the 2 pylons, "assembled". Btw a major improvement was the thinning of all the fins of the missiles - they look transparent on some pics. This is way way way waaaaay better than the thick edgy fins:

photo_3_1.jpg

photo_4.jpg

photo_5.jpg

photo_1_1.jpg

photo_2_1.jpg

The underfuselage loadouts are a whole new chapter...