F-15E --- 1/32 --- Tamiya

...I'm away from my house until Tuesday, but I can check the tail boom antennae in Jake's book for you if somebody hasn't answered your question before then...

Thank you! And that would be nice - thanks in advance! 

That`s exactly what i wondered - whether there are many shapes or just one rounded and one with the beveled edges. I stopped at a Lakenheath eagle with the LN tail code for the markings, and all the pics that i have show the beveled pod shape, but all the pics are very distant (with this exception above) and the shape is not clearly distinguishable. It sure should looks beveled, not rounded like on the left side, but how exactly beveled... The good thing is that the kit has one extra rounded pod and i could very easily sand/reshape it into just like on the pic above, but is it right... or maybe there really is a pod with more beveled edges like from the kit part...

A small up from today - just still deleting the seamlines along the joints of the fuselage halves. The intakes are smooth from the upper side; and the tail tips received thin plates from the nozzle sides to reduce a little the voidness between the nozzles and the tail tips.

photo_2.jpg

photo_3.jpg

photo_4.jpg

photo_5.jpg

This is the gap on the port side... The lower part is springy and wanted to go just a hint closer to the intake than required, while the upper part can`t go anywhere. I can neither force/glue/align it with the upper part cause the seal with the intake will turn into an enormous gap, nor bent the edge of the lower part cause the plastic is very thick. It`s filled with stretched plastic rods, super glue and filler, and will have to sand it. I think i could manage to restore the not so easy curved shape of the edge.

photo_1.jpg

Edited by F`s are my favs

Guest Peterpools

Milan

Fantastic progress and meticulous work. One big negative regarding large models - photographing them is a whole new discipline and I'm still working it out. I'm building a L shaped stand which will hold a wide roll of photographic paper so the model can be centered without worrying about the edges showing. The biggest key is Light ... just can't have enough wattage, especially the further the camera is away from the model.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

:bow: Thanks a lot!

So the gap along the left intake is filled for a second time, to add more volume to the curve, and meanwhile i texturised the top fuselage. All the pics are at very angled nightlight. I also filled the panel lines with Surf1200, but only a little, with very diluted Surf, cause they were so huge before... enormous. Now they look way medier.

photo_1.jpg

photo_2.jpg

photo_3.jpg

photo_4.jpg

photo_5.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Milan

Terrific progress and enjoying the thread.

Without being rude, may I offer some help in how to photograph the build? The images are very contrasty and hide the incredible work you are doing at times.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Thank you! And that would be nice - thanks in advance! 

That`s exactly what i wondered - whether there are many shapes or just one rounded and one with the beveled edges. I stopped at a Lakenheath eagle with the LN tail code for the markings, and all the pics that i have show the beveled pod shape, but all the pics are very distant (with this exception above) and the shape is not clearly distinguishable. It sure should looks beveled, not rounded like on the left side, but how exactly beveled... The good thing is that the kit has one extra rounded pod and i could very easily sand/reshape it into just like on the pic above, but is it right... or maybe there really is a pod with more beveled edges like from the kit part...

Hi Milan,

I'm back at my workbench and I have Jake's book in hand.  Good news:  There are four different tail boom antennae ion the F-15E (Jake mentions 3, but then his book shows 4), with a rounded one like in my pic below to the left, a squared off one like your pic above and the one to the right, which is vertical or horizontal (likely the same one- hence 3 types rather than 4) and then one that is a rounded with a bit of the rounded part shaved off on the sides, which is the one I made for my F-15C in the second pic.

F-15E%20Tailbooms.jpg

F-15C%20Tailboom.jpg

Go nuts!  Personally I'd go with the round and square configuration in the first pic because it shows contrast and you know it's accurate.

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

What tool/technique do you use for the "stressed skin" effect?  This is going to look stunning when it's done.

First, a good reference photo is a must for knowing what you want to achieve. This is a cropped/zoomed one, the original is from Airliners:

photo_3.jpg

And i have a couple more at very low angle that also show the pattern sufficiently well. Then, it`s just scratching the surface with a knife with a curved blade. Lots of scratching and everywhere, but very gently, the shavings have to look like dust rather than shavings. The rivets and the panel lines should not be deleted as well.

photo.jpg

And then, it`s a lot of sanding to smoothen the indentations from the blade even more. This is actually what makes the scratches to look like ripples, waves, etc. I start with 320 grit, the entire surfaces, then with 800 grit (which is actually the same 320 grit but the opposite side of the same piece of sandpaper, which is very very used and is more like 800). These two treatments do remove from the plastic and especially with more tention. Then, i "sand" everything with a very used 1000 grit sandpaper, which is rather like a polish. It does not remove from the plastic, just makes it shiny like before.

PS, check out page 8 and 9, there i started with the pylons and the fuselage, the wings and the vertical stabilizers are texturised around p.10. The stabilators are almost intact.

Peter, thanks! About the photographing tips - yes, sure. :) Btw i took these "texturised" photos at nightlight, because the effect is very subtle and is most visible (at least i think so :) ) only at these settings. And i plan to use the white background from now on, cause it`s a neutral color...

Chuck, thanks very much! That second photo is lovely. I think i will leave the pod for the end, along with the antennas... Yeah, sometimes the numerous opts make the choice difficult.