F-15E --- 1/32 --- Tamiya

I think that the images that show significant "oil-canning" on modern aircraft are often of jets making hard manoeuvres and under extreme stress. The g-force appears to temporarily ripple the aircraft skin which then settles back to nearly flat when in normal flight. Jari's images seem to show that there are certain areas that appear distorted even in normal flight though.

Cheers.

Actually viperfixer is quite right. There are changes on the surface but they are not significant as they look on the pictures. The effect is exaggerated a bit, that's why it often causes confusion.

If the skin was that bent, the laminar flow would've been disrupted and that would've caused a line of subsequent troubles for the actual flying part of the job.

That is why the best way to approach this in scale modeling is with pre- and pos-shading, panel lines and oils.

Here are some examples of a/c out in the real world, some are shiny and clean:

080528-F-2828D-308.JPG

others have been out in the sun and sand for awhile:

160713-F-NJ596-007.JPG

note the intake ramp on this one:

140226-F-AM664-001.JPG

Jari

What in the world are the streaks that appear to originate from the leading edge on the dirty bird in the middle?

Jeff

To get in on the debate about the "ripple effect" ive seen alot of birds in and out of service, and ive seen deformed panels. Not over the entirety of the a/c but in certain areas. I'm in no way a scientist or an engineer but I would assume at the speeds these planes are reaching just the friction from the passing air would cause certain panels to heat and thus become deformed.... but what do i know. Either way i look at what we all do as art more than anything and there are no rules etched in stone for art. Going to look great no matter what!

Jeff

Jeff, 10x! No doubt the planes are like living monsters... if the extremely high temp can extend/shrink the panels of the SR-71 so to cause so much fuel leakage... 

Btw the stressed skin is noticeable on the ground too (i found some good pics, page 9), it`s just a matter of low-angle viewpoint and light. 

While for the streaks from the leading edges - the slightly darker streaks - i`m not certain, but i think that they should be fuel leaks from the panel lines, and then the airflow stretches them backwards. And check out that these streaks are only where the fuel tanks are located; there is almost no such kind of streaks near the outer halves of the wings. The massive brownish spots look like they are not created by the speed, so maybe while the plane was parked on the ground... maybe the fuel leaks can`t move backwards and make large areas of the panels wet, and there was a sand storm, and the sand particles soaked into the fuel. :) Perhaps. Btw i remember this photo from a specific topic exactly for the weathering of the F-15, don`t remeber when though... 

Edited by F`s are my favs

Interesting, can't ever remember seeing oil canning on any modern jet fighter, yet there it is, photo proof. Good catch, wonder how it would do in contests...The F-16 have that brown staining as well on birds in the sandbox. IIRC it was attributed to sand/dust sticking to fuel spills.

Don

Interesting, can't ever remember seeing oil canning on any modern jet fighter, yet there it is, photo proof. Good catch, wonder how it would do in contests...The F-16 have that brown staining as well on birds in the sandbox. IIRC it was attributed to sand/dust sticking to fuel spills.

Don

Mmm.... This stressed effect is called "oil canning"!? Well, now I know. This word was mentioned numerous times and I always connected it with something about the weathering and the oil paints. And now I searched in google for just in case, and yes, absolutely true, "oil canning" is actually the real word for my imaginary word "texturising". Interesting. I'm very excited to know that. Oil canning... Corrugated extrusions...

Yep, these dots are interesting... And how the rear part of the brake is slightly not flush with the surrounding area, maybe it was in motion in this exact moment. Btw I also noticed some long oil canning formations on the engine nacelles, onto the panel right behind the two squared accessing doors. Awesome pic again! TU!

These bays are quite challenging indeed. 1 is in the can - check it out. Btw for most of the bays, i will use ref. pics for the C version, couldn`t find the E with all these bays open... Maybe it`s wrong and the bays differ between the different versions and missions, but i can`t even match exactly the reference pics. Here is a moment right after gluing the boxes, and yeah, there really is some F-4 in this F-15 :))

photo_1.jpg

And prepped - this is with artificial light. Yet these two innermost bays on both sides will not be so noticeable, because of the intake ramps.

photo_2.jpg

photo_3.jpg

mm, juicy juicy...

photo_4.jpg

photo_5.jpg

The glue for the wings finally dried (i filled the gaps/seamlines along the joints with molten plastic  :))) long thin stretched sprue rods soaked in glue and after 15-20 sec - the gaps were stuffed real good), then major sanding + a thin "weld" with thinned surf1200, and sanding again, then restoring the seamlines, and the wings are mounted. Still the riveting is not complete. Btw, check out what i got for the painting stage... 

photo_1.jpg

The Eduard`s set. Never used them before... but i`m sure it will look times better than the numerous thick oob decals. 

Some silhhouettes:

20170303_154321.jpg

20170303_154334.jpg

20170303_154349.jpg

The wing joints undersides. It`s strange how they look with scratched traces from the sanding, but actually i even polished them and they are glossy...  I still have no idea why they look like that. Maybe i should coat them very thinnly with some paint for just in case...

photo_2.jpg

photo_4.jpg

photo_3.jpg

A couple more posts are on the way...

Edited by F`s are my favs