Zero77

Piper Super Cub floatplane (PA-18-150) "Popeye"

Hi,

20160515_1720190_zps123xwgie.jpg

After a very long stall, i was back to this build a few months ago, and finally finished it today. I started it as a "quick build", and i thought it would be done in a few weeks. Huge mistake ! After finishing the inside and gluing the fuselage, i made my research a bit further and i noticed a lot of difference between the actual aircraft and what was in the Revell kit. The Revell kit supply a standard floatplane Supercub, whereas the swiss aircraft "Popeye" seems to have a lot of custom modification. And there was also a lot of very simplified details that deserve to be improved (control cables, engine cowling, floats details and so on...).

I have remade the back of the fuselage to scratch build the clear roof, made a few tiny pulleys for the control cables, remade the floats rudders, and various other small stuff.

So it was quite long, sometimes a bit boring, but now it's done, i'm very happy of it. I hope you like it, too. :)

Here is a link to the WIP thread : http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=60767?st=0

I just hope i did not post too many pictures.... 

20160515_170439_zps9tpasmzu.jpg
20160515_170449_zpsauu5seqi.jpg
20160515_170458_zpspegl3vua.jpg
20160515_170522_zpsfgvmvhuz.jpg
20160515_170528_zps2tofgfeu.jpg
20160515_170539_zpsbgcglj6b.jpg
20160515_170548_zps0qjjj3lh.jpg
20160515_170557_zpsgnozpo1z.jpg
20160515_170608_zpszc8vmjsa.jpg
Edited by Zero77

Guest Martinnfb

This is absolutely stunning Piper, the best I have ever seen. Bravo! just like the real plane.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Martin

Nicolas, how did you manage to get that 1:1 float piper onto a blue gigantic blanket, and then photograph it pretending you build a 1\32 replica ???????????... :innocent: :wicked:

Man, this is THE best i ever saw before, you're a real master crafter, congratulations!!

Jack.

Guest Peterpools

Nicolas,

Brilliant, simply fantastic. Gorgeous build and finish and comparing to the real deal,  OMG.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Peter

Thanks guys for the kind words ! It's a relief it's now done and everything went pretty smooth. The kit is a very good base, but it's a bit fragile so one has to be very careful with the handling. 

Kevin, of course you can publish it ! :) 

Great job!!! BTW, there is a local company here who is licensed to both rebuild, an build new Cubs? They even make an all carbon fiber one called a Carbon Cub. Look them up sometime, called Cubcrafters.