21St Century Toys 1/32 Macchi 202 Folgore.

Enrico

Hi guys, my very first post here.

This is my last build, a 21St Century Toys 1/32 Macchi 202 Folgore. This aircraft was the workhorse for Regia Aeronautica from 1941 till the end of the war, operated also by RSI in northern Italy after the armistice and by Italian Co-belligerant Air Force in the south. It was a sleek, sturdy and highly manoeuvrable machine, major weak points poor radio and oxygen equipments and light weapons, with only two 12,7 Breda-Safat guns firing from nose.

It's a very basic kit, so I worked around some details built from scratch, such as gear legs, gear doors, wheels bay details, pilot seat and several others cockpit details, wings lights, movable rudder and tail ailerons, water cooling system details. Aftermarket parts for wheels (CMK wheels for Fiat G.50) exhaust (CMK for Bf.109E) and nose guns.

Acrilyc paints from Tamiya and Gunze, some weathering with AK washings and pigments, finish coat with Vallejo matt varnish and True Earth filters.

This aircraft was the personal aircraft flown by Ten. Giorgio Santamaria Niccolini, Abu Haggag, Noth Africa, June 1942, 70a Squadriglia, 23° Gruppo, 3° Stormo.

This machine was built by Macchi, belonging to "Serie VII" (7th production batch) major improving from previous batch an armoured glass in front of the pilot and two 7,7mm machine guns firing from wing. These weapons were introduced to fulfill the request from Regia Aeronautica for more firing power. In fact, due to their small caliber, these guns were ineffective against enemy's aircrafts and produced the only effect to decrease overall performance, so very often ground crews removed these guns directly on field. 

2yjswux.jpg

20ifho0.jpg

33c6t0h.jpg

s2r8lk.jpg

2lu5qti.jpg

2wlzsoy.jpg

i795hh.jpg

Welcome aboard, Enrico!

:post1:

That's a lovely build to make an entrance with. I've built that kit myself, so I can appreciate the fine work you've done here. What did you use for the brown base colour?

Kev

Thank you all guys!!!

Welcome aboard, Enrico!

:post1:

That's a lovely build to make an entrance with. I've built that kit myself, so I can appreciate the fine work you've done here. What did you use for the brown base colour?

Kev

Base colour is Gunze H310. Among Regia Aeronautica fans there's some discussions about the correspondance with original colour, in my opinion it'is quite good, these aircraft were produced by Macchi itself and also by Breda and SAI-Ambrosini, with slightly differences for the paints they used.

Excellent. It looked much easier to build than the PCM kit that I'd doing battle with at the moment.

I agree, after this build I started a PCM Reggiane 2005 1/32, it's quite a nightmare...