Scale Aircraft Conversions Bristol Beaufighter Landing Gear (Revell)

LSP_Kevin

I've got to agree with most of the comments here. SAC products generally leave me scratching my head with the question "WHY" bouncing around inside. I must admit that I have little respect for a company that attempts to capitalise on our hunger to upgrade to aftermarket items, by providing "direct copies" of an existing product (with little or NO attempt to upgrade or detail said part) and then reproduce that copy in a medium that MAY provide more long term problems than the original.

I see little evidence of this supplier doing much more than pressing existing kit parts into modelling clay and then pouring in inferior grade white metal to produce crude replicas of the original parts - the packaging probably cost him more than his "manufacturing" process.

Norm.

Edited by Norm In Toronto

I find it intriguing that having said almost nothing positive about the product in the review, it then gets a conclusion 'recommended with reservations'. The only bits that are not negative are equivocal, which doesn't sound like any sort of recommendation to me....

The only reason I have recommended them is because they can be used as replacement parts. The main legs for the Beaufighter I believe are usable and strong enough. Only the actuating arms are really too thin to use except in a pinch.

Once I figure out a method of testing the strength of the material ( and I don't think I will do any more reviews until I do ), I will provide results and adjust recommendations as well. Several of the sets I think are strong enough to hold the weight of the kits up, but others are a little sketchy and I try to convey that. 

I recently bought some for a 1/24 109 im building. The kits parts are just cack. Both halves of the moulding aren't aligned and there's a spurious part of the wheel fixed to the leg as well. So, I needed these SAC legs. The thing with them that I find a little off is the Scissor part of the oleo is modelled 'Fully extended'. As if the weight of the A/C has totally left the legs. Surely to God 99.9% of modellers are going to model their plane stood on its wheels? Modifying this is going to be real agro,

...Guy

Soft & Cr@pp¥

It is truly ghastly and inadequate

My personal review

P.s. to add: the vacform bubble the parts come in is considerably stronger than the contents.

Tony

edited to add p.s.

Edited by Tony T

A nice and impartial review.

I think that this stuff appeals to those that must have all the aftermarket for a kit that they can get their hands on, even if the kit doesn't get built.

If someone came up with a method of copying kit undercarriage in stronger metal that was non labour intensive, they would be onto a winner!

Eric