Spitfire LF.XVIe conversion

Derek B

Hi Guys,

I am actually attempting to complete my first 1/32 scale kit (not easy these days!). I had already previously started a Revell Fw-190 F-8 kit, but this has been aborted for the time being. This is actually the first conversion work I have done for 20 years! I have started converting a Hasegawa Mk.V spitfire into a LF.Mk.XVIe version. I am utilising Warbirds Productions (UK) conversion parts. I have already reached the point of no return, as I have sawn the off the fuselage nose, top decking and rudder, as well as the kit underwing oil cooler and radiator in readiness for the replacement resin parts. If I can get my digital camera to work, I shall attempt to take some photographs and post them. I am at the cockpit detailing stage - so if anyone out there has some good overall cockpit photos for reference, then I would be extremely grateful. The model, when finished, will be the same as the attached photograph (a post-war Central Gunnery School aircraft).

Regards

Derek

post-4-1117021053.jpg

That sounds great Derek... can't wait to see the pictures!! I too would like latter on to model the latter Mk styles of Spits.... but that is some time away! I am in suspence to see your work! Please share with us!

Cheers and all the best..... it is a nervous thing sawing away chunks.... I know the feeling!

Alan

Go for it Derek. You couldnt have picked a nicer looking Spitfire than the low back MK.XVIE.

As for cockpit shots the Modellers Data File part 1 ( Spitfire Merlin Engine Powered ) should give you all

you need as regards refrence , colours . plans etc.

Great choice of colour scheme to Derek it will be nice to see a natural metal spit , will make a nice change

from the usuall Green / Gray schemes.

Look forward to seeing this one.

Regards Keith. :P

Absolutely agreed........one of the best-looking war birds are, no doubt, "Bubbletop-spits" ( have two of them in my collection too, although they are the MK 24 / 47). I know the lots of work with a conversion, but in the end it will be worth it. All the best for this build, send pics asap.

cheers

Chris

Hi Guys,

Second picture. This one shows the general arrangement of the resin parts when temporarily attached to the Hasegawa kit parts. Notice the size difference between the kit supplied seat and the MDC/Warbirds item. I still have to remove the kit wing bulges and add new resin ones (when I can get some). I shall also replace the cannons at a later stage. I have also decided to remove the shallow wheel bays, and scratch build new deeper ones (if anyone out there has some good pictures of this area, them I would be muchly grateful :D ).

Derek

post-4-1117069669.jpg

Hi Derek...cool, very cool project you're embarking on here mate! What's the colour scheme? It looks like it's bare metal in that B/W photo?

Look forward to seeing it progress. :D Keep at it.

Cheers,

Ango.

Final picture.

I have started work on the fuselage cockpit frames here. All of the frame lightening holes have been drilled (I still have to 'dish' them slightly). I have cut away the rearmost cockpit frame top portion, that would have supported the high back fuselage decking on the Mk.V kit. I have also removed the pilot's rear armour head rest (the hole will be filled in later). The seat raising mechanism support frames holes have also been drilled. All of the main cockpit frame edges have also been thinned or chamferred to give the impression that they are not as thick as they really are on the finished model. Notice that the inverted 'A' frame has been temporarily removed from the fuselage frame that sits directly behind the pilot. This shall be replaced later, either with the original piece, or a new scratchbuilt item, after I have finished reworking the kit frame details.

Derek

post-4-1117070725.jpg

Hi Derek...cool, very cool project you're embarking on here mate! What's the colour scheme? It looks like it's bare metal in that B/W photo?

Look forward to seeing it progress. :) Keep at it.

Cheers,

Ango.

Hi Ango,

Thanks for the comments. It is nearly a bare metal Spitfire, or at least, it is silver! :D It is actually aluminium silver spray over the Spitfire airframe (not polished metal). I do have in mind making an Airfix 1/24th scale model of a RAAF Spitfire Mk.Vc, at some point in the future, which was polished natural metal - but that is another story, and it will be metal foil covered.

Cheers

Derek

Hi Guys,

General request time here. If anyone out there has any photographs of either the actual aircraft I am making, or specific detal pictures of all of the nooks, crannies and fiddilly areas of the Spitfire LF.Mk.XVIe, then I would be very greatful for anything that you could post/scan/loan/send by pidgeon mail to me :D .

Many thanks

Derek

Derek, wow! That looks great so far! I am impressed! I don't know if I would have the nerve to cut all that away, great job! I can't wait to see how she is going to all come together! When you put that new rudder on, it makes her look fast already!

Great stuff mate

Cheers

Alan

Great stuff derek. Unfortunately the Veteran I had contacted flew the normal high backed version of the XVI and so I did not have to saw off the back fo the model. You might wish to refer to my article photos for some details. You will save time on the research. The wheel legs on the xvi are different and have torque links. Great job once again..

hey Derek,

some nice conversion/surgery you're doing there, looking very good.

I myself am no expert on the Spit, but i'm sure you're going to have splendid results, keep it up.

cheers,

Jack.