Heinkel He 219

mikeblack

Hi Mike.

Sorry to hear about the paint problem. Hope everything will turn out right in the end.

This type of camouflage is about the most difficult to do. Your observations on the way RLM 76 

is applied are absolutely correct. This appears on some other types also, so you might see some examples you

can use as inspiration.

Regards,

Alain

Sorry it's not going to make it, but you're perfectly correct: it's better to take your time and do it properly rather than do a botched rush job to meet an arbitary deadline (that sounds like work!!).

http://dilbert.com/strip/2010-04-26

Look forward to seeing it when it is finished.

Gentlemen, many thanks for your kind and encouraging words following my 'Great Painting Disaster' - they are much appreciated  :)   

Last night I came home to find that a framed picture's string had snapped and (pure Murphy's Law!) being directly above the model fell onto it  :doh: knocking it to the floor.  With so much additional weight in the front it must have hit the ground with a thump.  One wing has split open and the other is cracked but the cockpit section is largely undamaged.  Sooooo.....

I have decided to start again and build the same kit in the same finish (WN 290126 in British markings) as Eric 'Winkle' Brown flew her in 1945.

I've often joked that I should build each kit twice so that I could learn from my mistakes :BANGHEAD2:  and incorporate the advice and emulate the example on forums such as this one.  That's my plan!  However, I have a busy couple of months so I'm unlikely to restart this project until December.  Will post updates in due course.

Thanks for visiting

Mike 

Hey Mike!

Interesting subject =) I just finished my 290126, you can check out my build here: http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=61165&page=1

I'd be more than willing to help you with my paint colors.

Justin

Hi Justin - I picked up your build thread quite early on in my research.  Your Uhu is a beauty and richly deserved the awards and accolades it received!  If I can get 50% of the way towards that I'll be pleased.  

Thanks for your kind offer of help - I take it that you used the NASM's (Uhu) paint scheme as your reference?  As you can see from my latest post I'm starting the whole project again so the painting will be some time off...  

Will be in touch and thanks again  :)

Mike

Ouch!  Are there many parts or sub-assemblies of the original build you could salvage?  That would save some repeated work at least.

Much sympathy; plus respect for your stoic attitude - if it happened to me my teddy would still flying after I'd thrown it out of the cot ...

Edited by MikeC

Ouch!  Are there many parts or sub-assemblies of the original build you could salvage?  That would save some repeated work at least.

Much sympathy; plus respect for your stoic attitude - if it happened to me my teddy would still flying after I'd thrown it out of the cot ...

Hi Mike - thanks for your post.  Yes, as I was in the painting phase there were a number of sub-assemblies waiting (cowlings, propellers, landing gear) for attachment that I could use again.  But who knows...I might be able to improve on them at the second attempt :hmmm: 

Mike 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Justin - I picked up your build thread quite early on in my research. Your Uhu is a beauty and richly deserved the awards and accolades it received! If I can get 50% of the way towards that I'll be pleased.

Thanks for your kind offer of help - I take it that you used the NASM's (Uhu) paint scheme as your reference? As you can see from my latest post I'm starting the whole project again so the painting will be some time off...

Will be in touch and thanks again :)

Mike

Mike,

I used the NASM subject as the baseline. My suggestion is to switch to Tamiya Paints and use their lacquer thinner.

All of the colours I used were custom mixed. I can tell you the colour codes when you're ready. I didn't have any issues at all spraying them except doing the actual Wellenmuster squiggles, which requires constant thinning of the paint until it's too watery to use.

Justin

Mike,

I used the NASM subject as the baseline. My suggestion is to switch to Tamiya Paints and use their lacquer thinner.

All of the colours I used were custom mixed. I can tell you the colour codes when you're ready. I didn't have any issues at all spraying them except doing the actual Wellenmuster squiggles, which requires constant thinning of the paint until it's too watery to use.

Justin

Hi Justin

Many thanks for this.  Yes, as the painting was the 'Achilles Heel' on my first attempt I've put a lot of thought into how i'm going to do it on the second attempt!  Will definitely not be using Xtracrylix! Tamiya sounds really good and I would be interested in your colour codes in due course - thanks.  However, in my research I've become a bit more laid back about the RLM 76 as, by that stage of the war, it was a case of 'beggars and choosers' as the German war machine ran out of raw materials.  Shame that the three photos of '290126' are slightly over-exposed so don't show the upper camouflage that clearly.  In addition two of the references I've used are slightly at variance with the photos themselves!  Therefore, I too will use the NASM aircraft as a baseline.

Finally, as I was trying to complete the build for the end of October deadline I started to feel self-induced pressure which began to erode the enjoyment: I think you had the same experience coming up to the model competition?  Going to take a page out of 'Mal's Way/Corsair' build in this section: do it slowly and enjoy it (and hopefully I'll make fewer mistakes with paint)!  First going to sort out the model bench  :)

Cheers

Mike 

• 9 months later...