Heinkel He 219

mikeblack

Hi Brad - thanks for asking :mental:  

Well, after a hiatus caused mainly by work commitments, I'm now getting some worthwhile bench time in.  After saying the build was going to be largely OOB, I found myself enticed by the AM mirage and my desire to include a figure of Eric Brown in the cockpit.  The complications these have caused (and work) have slowed things down quite a bit.   :sorry:

However, I'm now starting to make progress again and I'll hopefully post some pictures in the next few days  :)

Mike  :rolleyes:

Hello everyone - with a couple of days leisure I've made some progress (at last)!

I'm now (almost) out of the cockpit (though I have been working on other parts of the '219). As I mentioned I wanted to add a figure of 'Winkle' (and his overnight bag in the rear seat). Sounds okay - but this caused me a number of headaches especially with the seat belts and the figure's posture. We have an old song in the UK called "Right said Fred' (not the pop group!) about a group of house property removal men who progressively have to take more of the house apart in order to get a piano out... In my case it was fitting something (or someone back in)!!

"]http://s1186.photobucket.com/user/mikeblack7/media/image_zpstn5uwjle.jpeg.html]image_zpstn5uwjle.jpeg[/url]

The HGW fabric seat belts look good but IMHO are vastly oversized. I stuck with them but if I was doing this again I'd cut them down quite a bit. However, it was a brilliant tip from Carl to build them - as far as possible - on the fret: it saved lots of time and deprived the carpet monster of his usual mea l :thumbsup:

IMG_0180_2_zpsvtwztxig.jpg

IMG_0176_2_zpsmxtpkzts.jpg

IMG_0177_2_zpsudfopgj2.jpg

IMG_0186_2_zpsvlvon8qf.jpg

What I have to do now is connect Winkle's oxygen mask to the aircraft supply and insert the side panels. There are a few more pieces of PE to go in the pit but I'll leave them until the end as they're quite delicate. I should be able to close the fuselage up within the next week or so (work permitting).

Otherwise, I've corrected the profile of the vertical fins (thank you to Iain 32SIG), started preparing the propeller blades for the same treatment, and begun assembling the wings and engines. I've also got some plastic prepared to practise the painting of the Wellenmuster' wave pattern/squiggle' camouflage!

Got the feeling I'm back on track :)

Thanks for viewing

Mike

Edited by mikeblack

Something's going on...as I get the "Sorry the person has moved or deleted this image" mesage on Mike's image links. For example, this: http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z371/mikeblack7/IMG_0180_2_zpsvtwztxig.jpg

I go straight to his photobucket account and can see the images -- which BTW, which looks fabulous!

You guys should try imgur -- never let's me down and it's completely FREE.

Looking verrrrry nice Mike, the pit looks great and I love the idea of that overnight bag.. nice touch. That figure is also tasty - did you sculpt it or covert an existing figure?

Cheers,

Torben

Something's going on...as I get the "Sorry the person has moved or deleted this image" mesage on Mike's image links. For example, this: http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z371/mikeblack7/IMG_0180_2_zpsvtwztxig.jpg

I go straight to his photobucket account and can see the images -- which BTW, which looks fabulous!

You guys should try imgur -- never let's me down and it's completely FREE.

Yeah, I don't seem them either. Just "Photo not found" placeholders.

Kev

Looking verrrrry nice Mike, the pit looks great and I love the idea of that overnight bag.. nice touch. That figure is also tasty - did you sculpt it or covert an existing figure?

Hi Torben - thanks for your comment; and yes, I converted a 'PJ Productions' RAF pilot but had to 'break' an arm and a leg to get him to fit! What with his Mae West, the seatbelts, oxygen mask (yet to be connected) - and his knee pad (Winkle was apparently one of the first pilots to use one) the front pit is filling up nicely (might even be able to reduce the nose weight to stop her becoming a tail-sitter!!!

Mike

Well, back from work and back to the bench  :rolleyes:.  Today some progress on the wings and nacelles:

CIMG6499_zpsin7tw1lh.jpg

One of the characteristics of this kit is the model's propensity to 'tail sit' unless adequate weight is placed forward.  The instructions call for 50g in each nacelle and 90g just aft of the cockpit (both are good size chambers).  Taking advice from other modellers I put in more: 60g in the nacelles and 100g forward.

CIMG6497_2_zpsnrt0fmaz.jpg

CIMG6501_zpsaanqqo5j.jpg

Besides wielding the airbrush with light olive, I've also prepped and primed, with Vallejo Primer, some plastic (old F-15 wings from teenage years (so a long time ago :rolleyes:)) ready to practise the RLM 76 over 75 camouflage (I reckon the RLM 22 won't be too taxing  :unsure:):

CIMG6502_zpsplu3ex9p.jpg

Tomorrow I hope to close the fuselage and get the wings on....she's going to start looking like an aircraft before long  :o

Thanks for watching

Mike