Mirage IIIC IAF: UPDATE: 5/14/16:The Fuselage & Intakes

Guest Peterpools

Hey no fair! I thought I would be starting my build thread before you.  :P 

Looking forward to seeing your build and hopefully building along side.

I've started working on the area behind the instrument panel and have taken a few pics but haven't posted anything. I guess I better start a thread in the next day or two eh?  :lol:

Edited by ChuckT

Guest Peterpools

Thank Dan

Glad you will be along for the journey. I'll take some measurements of the Mirage and maybe, just maybe it will fit in your display case and we can get a mini GB going

Peter

Guest Peterpools

HI Chuck Just posted on your build and am looking to following and learn as we go.

I hope martin will keep a steady stream of photos coming our way

Peter

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE; FINALLY UNDERWAY: 4/31/16: THE FRONT OFFICE

As with all my builds and most kits, construction starts with the front office and so will the Mirage . First up was the IP and over the past weeks much has been discussed both on my earlier question about cockpit photos and on Chuck T 's thread as well and to be honest, the jury is still out. I had three choices to choose from: The kit's IP, Eduard's IP from their Interior PE set and Eric's resin IP. Comparing all three, Eric's was the closest to my main reference: Mirage III vs Mig 21 by Shlomo Aloni, page 47's color plate. I'm close and that's fine, as I'm taking the middle ground, enjoying the build and not knocking my head against the wall trying to duplicate an Israeli front office as photos of the real deal are few and far between. Cutting the IP from the casting block was the hardest part of preparing the IP and once done, I added a bit of PE from Eduard's set, primed with AK Gray primer and followed up with Model Air Nato Black for my panel and interior color. Once dry,  Alclad Gloss (just love the stuff) was applied and using Airscale's Early Jet Fighter Instrument Set, applied all the gauges. The IP was treated to one additional coat of Gloss, then Testor's Dullcote, all the gauges and glass were treated with Gallery Glass, the details picked out and a bit of dry brushing. The IP was now finished and matched the color plate very well..

Next Up was the Isrcasta MB MK4 ejection seat – very nicely caste and once more the toughest part before painting was cutting off the casting block. Seat detail is excellent and the molded on belts look superb – I couldn't ask for more. IsraCast's instructions call out for:

The seat: black

The cushions: olive drab

The straps: brown

The ejection handle yellow

And black the road I went.

The cockpit tub was built as per instructions and the two nasty injector pin marks on the back wall were filled in with Evergreen sheet and sanded out. I primed the cockpit tub and the followed up with some Model Air Nato Black just to see how things were looking. PE was added from Eduard's Interior Set for some extra details and I'm ready to priming and painting the tub itself a second time. I decided to pick out all the nice molded on details by dry brushing and the overall effect is quite good and convincing.

So far, No problems to report and the fit has been very good.

Thanks for checking in

Next up: the front gear bay

Peter

untitled-8-2_zpsfrhp52tp.jpg

untitled-7_zpsmbaldnei.jpg

untitled-6_zpsxufklwwz.jpg

untitled-2_zpsxabgrerp.jpg

untitled-2-2-2_zpslk2erupl.jpg

Edited by Peterpools