SAC #24008: Hawker Typhoon Mk.1b Landing Gear (Airfix)

LSP_Kevin

Quote from review:

"I still am not happy with the softness of the alloy used. However, the gear of the 1/24th kits are quite substantial in diameter so the SAC gear will not bend as easy as it does in smaller scale kits. So I am confident it should hold up well.

Recommended as a quick and relatively low-priced replacement for the kit gear."

Still leaves the question WHAT'S THE POINT?

If the SAC product lacks the fidelity (or at best, only matches) that of the original plastic part, and may provide only marginal structural integrity (compared to the original part) - Why bother buying this product?

This is one line of After Market products that leaves me shaking my head.

Norm.

Edited by Norm In Toronto

I am with you, Norm. I don´t get why people buy direct copies of a kit´s gear cast in a rather soft alloy.

I don´t have this 1/24 scale kit, but I am pretty sure the kit´s plastic gear hasn´t broken down too often...

IF a kit needs stronger LG parts then I hope G-Factor will do them! Top quality and very (!) strong!

IF a kit needs stronger LG parts then I hope G-Factor will do them! Top quality and very (!) strong!

I agree wholeheartedly.  Ernie does a great job on his products. G-Factor gear are usually much more detailed than the plastic original they replace AND are cast in a MUCH more robust brass alloy material. First rate products!

Norm.

Like Ray has said before, what's really needed, is a stress test. The alloy may indeed be soft, and a direct knockoff, but is it stronger/less prone to failure than the kit gear? I have no answer.

Kevin, I agree. What would also be interesting to know, is whether a kit's original gear was THAT prone to breakage. In other words, if increased detail is not a requirement to the purchaser, does the situation warrant the use of a stronger replacement (if, indeed, SAC gear is stronger)?

Norm.

Edited by Norm In Toronto

To be honest, I see these items as more replacement from accidental breakage of the original gear. G-Factor gear usually give you better detail. They are more expensive, but stronger and are an upgrade. These are just cheap replacements for an 'oops' during building.

I am toying around with a way to test their strength, so stay tuned!