1/32 Planet Models Heinkel He-178 got it's wings

dutik

Hello!

Just got one resin model finished, the Arado E-377 Mistel bomb. So it's time to start another one :piliot:

No props, I stay with jets :thumbsup:  The first jet of the world, to be correct: Ernst Heinkels He-178.

Kit is made by Planet models from Czech. Box image:

heinkel0016lbqh3.jpg

Whats inside?

A fistful of parts in cream colored resin. Nice casting, no bubbles. Fuselage halfes, one-piece wings, elevators, rudder, some interior bits, wheels. UC is provided in white metal. A small decal sheet, just the "Heinkel" writiing. Two vac canopies. Two pages of instructions:

heinkel0017hbrig.jpg

First things first - building the cockpit, as usual.

Not a lot of parts here. Also not a lot of details... Added some styrene as lower side consoles, a rear bulkhead and a new floor. Glued the jet pipe and tail wheel bay into place.

heinkel0000a9s25.jpg

IP needs some paint to bring out the details.

heinkel0002nbskt.jpg

The seat is nothing to write home about. Too small. Quarterscale only... :crying: I have to look into the bit box for a better one.

Thats it for now.

Enjoy!

- dutik

Edited by dutik

Great! This sort of stuff is right up my alley. Will follow along.

Eric.

Hey, I know that story! :hmmm:

You will start later and get it finished long before I am ready...  :help: 

Gimme your adress, I will send you the kit... :whistle:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

No issue. We shall see how it works. Latest news: The intake ramp (instruction image 3) does not fit very well. Especially after I moved the floor down to the bottom of the fuselage becase the whole cockpit was too shallow for a 1/32 scale pilot. So I will make a new one and also smooth out the whole intake to get rid of that inner "lip"...

Regards

- dutik

A seat, a seat! A kingdom for a seat!

heinkel0015rtkx0.jpg

Found a leftover resin seat for a Bf-109. Much better. Also some sets of RBs harness. Much worser. Boy, they look nice, but making them is incredibily fiddly! Nothing for people with short fuze, indeed :blowup:

Time to join the meeting at Luebeck. Will wrestle with the other half of the harness next week.

Regards

- dutik

Nice to see that build !

I had the same conclusion about the seat. I did not understand what they wanted to do. I tried to convert the kit seat dimension to full scale, and only a small children would have been able to sit !

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't go ahead with the seatbelts, cockpit and intake. There are only the walls, cross-walls and the floor inside. But I did a LOT of other work. Glued the fuselage halves together. Filled and sanded the seam. Rescribed the paneel lines. Re-sawed them, to be correct, with a smal resin saw. Much better than fiddling with a scribing tool. Drilled holes into wingroots and across the fuselage to fit a long 3mm thick steel nail acting as wingspar/ alignment pin:

heinkel000130seh.jpg

Dryfitted and adjusted the wings to the fuselage. Glued them and filled the seam. Re-sawed more paneel lines. Latest achievement are the rudder and elevators. Added steel wire instead of nails. Now it's up to fill and sand the seams, close a gap between one elevator and the fuselage, rescribe as required. To be continued...

heinkel001849pmd.jpg

Enjoy!

- dutik

Edited by dutik

• 2 years later...

It got a new task: Gathering dust on the shelf...  :wicked: 

Any modelling activities stalled last year due to job related overwork.

Was only this year capable to re-start at least the Texan build. Anything else is still on hold.

Regards

- dutik

It got a new task: Gathering dust on the shelf...  :wicked:

Any modelling activities stalled last year due to job related overwork.

Was only this year capable to re-start at least the Texan build. Anything else is still on hold.

Regards

- dutik

Ahhh, ok that's a pity I kinda like the 178 and you were going along nicely

Well, this one is a nice litle resin kit, indeed. Good fit, good surface details, lacking in the cockpit, but no hassle with the wheel wells - this one had a fixed undercarriage. The intake is empty too. I made my own intake duct using a rolled sheet of paper to get the right shape, then using it as a template for cutting some styrene.Looks fine.

At least one more photo:

heinkel0014nwanf.jpg

Enjoy!

- dutik