Best IAF Mirage III reference book (or website)?

ChuckT

Thanks for the heads up (and the pics of the colours)

You're welcome. And, thanks! :)

One of the things I was thinking of doing was gluing the left and right tail halves to the left and right main body BEFORE gluing the body all together. 

If you do it that way, keep in mind that the engine will not fit through the aft end of the fuselage. So, the engine will have to go in before or during your assembly of the fuselage halves.

I built the fuselage without the tail parts, glued the engine to the forward bulkhead, and then joined the tail parts together before installing them on the fuselage. It is also important to note that the PE frame supplied to support the rear end of the engine does not fit the engine at all (the inside rim is about 3/32" or 2.4 mm too large in diameter). The bulge around the aft end of the engine just forward of the 'eyelids' is too large in diameter to fit properly inside of the tail parts, too. Grinding down the sides of the engine at the bulge and letting the tail parts hold the aft end of the engine in place worked well to hold the engine firmly in mine.

I was also thinking of attaching the top wing to the body halves before attaching the bottom.

Would this work?

Probably. I had the hardest time getting the wing bottoms to fit properly to the fuselage bottom, though. The joints between wing tops and the fuselage sides were one of the rare areas where it didn't require a lot of massaging and cussing. Your mileage will likely vary, though. 

As with everything in this kit, test fit, test fit, and then test fit some more before committing anything to glue. Test fitting the major parts several steps ahead to make sure everything can go together before going back to where you were helps a lot. Be prepared to get creative in your solution seeking, too. 

I want to try and minimize the gaps at those joints if possible.

That was my plan of attack, too. But, there's just no way to get it all together without some gaps - especially inside of the intakes and the undersides of the leading edges of the wings. 

Best of luck with your build! :)

D

Guest Peterpools

Chuck

While decaling my Hun Hunter,breaks are needed and not just for snacks.

I'm a acrylic paint shooter and Hataka has the israeli AF 1950 -1970 colors.

http://hataka-hobby.com/products/israeli-af-paint-set-1970s-desert-colours/

http://www.hobbyworld-usa.com/Store/hataka-hobby-acrylic-paint-sets/2704-israeli-af-paint-set-1970s-desert-colours-.html

I'm going to order the set  from Hobby World and see how the colors look.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Chuck

The pale green and lower fuselage color used on Mirage's in the 1970's are different then the shades used on F-16's and newer jets. The change in cammo colors occured in the early 1980's. Hopefully the correct colors are in the set.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Those are the colors I used from the MM enamel line. With their names:

FS 35622 Duck Egg Blue

FS 33531 Sand

FS 34227 Pale Green

FS 30219 Dark Tan

So you can see for yourselves what those paints look like on the model:

Mirage%201_zpsgpok5pcm.jpg

Mirage%204_zpsbocdbkg1.jpg

And, after an "Antique White" filter coat to simulate desert dust and fading:

Mirage%203_zpsdwibgtjc.jpg

HTH,

D

Those are indeed the correct colors,the F-16 and F-15I got grey underside and the green was changed

to the lighter "sky type s",other planes remained in the old scheme up to retirement

As to the weathering-maybe only sun bleach and grease/oil streaks,

the planes were and are regularly washed

Isaac

Edited by iaf-man

Chuck

The pale green and lower fuselage color used on Mirage's in the 1970's are different then the shades used on F-16's and newer jets. The change in cammo colors occured in the early 1980's. Hopefully the correct colors are in the set.

Peter

I think the set I ordered covers off those changes.

Forget the AD book for a cockpit view. The only IP pic shows in fact a Vautour! Get the Osprey book about Mirage aces for such views.

Thierry

The only 'pit photo I see in my copy of the book, is labeled as a Mirage IIICJ. If it's not, that's a bit unusual, as Dor is generally not that careless.

Any chance you can scan that photo to show on here (as long as that's ok to do)?

I'm coming up with a plan to scratch build a new panel and want to make sure I'm kind of on the right track with its layout for a CJ.

If that's not ok, no problem.

The only 'pit photo I see in my copy of the book, is labeled as a Mirage IIICJ. If it's not, that's a bit unusual, as Dor is generally not that careless.

This was discussed earlier. Take a look at this thread.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=59092&hl=mirage

Also, look here for the photo in question.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=150268&view=findpost&p=1791077

The top photo is a real IAF Mirage IIIC IP from the Osprey book. The bottom photo is actually a Vatour IP, mislabeled as a Mirage IIICJ. I believe the incorrect bottom photo is the one in the Dor book.

Edited by Dave Williams

Thanks for the heads up (and the pics of the colours)

You do have to question some of the layout decisions by Italeri, but hopefully it will come together as nice as yours.  :speak_cool:

One of the things I was thinking of doing was gluing the left and right tail halves to the left and right main body BEFORE gluing the body all together. I was also thinking of attaching the top wing to the body halves before attaching the bottom.

Would this work?

I want to try and minimize the gaps at those joints if possible.

I did exactly that - glued the wings to the fuselage first. Worked really well. Check out the link :

http://www.saairforce.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8595&start=0

Hope this helps.