Best IAF Mirage III reference book (or website)?

ChuckT

Guest Peterpools

Dave and Thierry

Thank you for the information and links for the front office information; certainly cleared up a lot of the mystery and confusion for me

Chuck and Jeff

Very much appreciate the comments on my Kfir .. just a fun build

My research for my Mirage as to colors;

I'm planning on modeling Mirage IIIC Atar 9C #159, "The First Fighter"  Squadron 1975

FS35622

FS33531

FS34227

FS30219

I'm hoping to find the colors I need in acrylics, if not, plan B is: Model Master enamels.

The search begins

Peter

Just for us LSPers, I did molds for the KFIR and NESHER wheels. I won't be sending them to Sprue because they are only a few brave modelers building them. Right Peter?

Great build, by the way.

I'm just siting down with the kit, looking at what I want to "tweak" as part of my build. I don't want it to get out of hand (so I actually get the thing done) but I do want to try my hand at upgrading some areas that I just don't care for as stock. The main parts that stand out for me are; the Instrument panel (and area underneath the front windscreen), back cockpit wall, the seat, the wheel wells, landing gear and engine (boy that list is longer than I would have hoped for)! Some of Harold's wheels will be nice too!

I think I'm going to do early 70's IAF tri colour scheme using the kits decals for 101 squadrons # 259 for a Atar 9B engine equipped mirage CJ. In light of our previous emails, I'm going to use the following reference with a few adjustments so I don't get bogged down with endless research:

http://ckclub31.ipmsfrance.org/wa/Mir3c/

Wish me luck!

Guest Peterpools

Chuck

That's some list I'll be following your build and progress every step of the way.My list is a lot shorter and a lot more conservative: I have Eric's IP and will be using it along with Airscale's instrument and placards. I'll be upgrading the Mk4 seat with the one from Isracal as well. I'm not planning on doing anything to the well wells and will be just doing a bit of corrections and some detailing to the gear. The Atlar Conversion is from Isracast as well. Only other add-ons will be Eduards PE set

I'll be putting in some OT this week on the Mustang so I can finish her up and then get ready to start the Mirage

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

I'm planning on modeling Mirage IIIC Atar 9C #159, "The First Fighter"  Squadron 1975

FS35622

FS33531

FS34227

FS30219

Those are the colors I used from the MM enamel line. With their names:

FS 35622 Duck Egg Blue

FS 33531 Sand

FS 34227 Pale Green

FS 30219 Dark Tan

So you can see for yourselves what those paints look like on the model:

Mirage%201_zpsgpok5pcm.jpg

Mirage%204_zpsbocdbkg1.jpg

And, after an "Antique White" filter coat to simulate desert dust and fading:

Mirage%203_zpsdwibgtjc.jpg

As has been stated elsewhere, the kit is a fiddly beast throughout, and fraught with fit issues. Bring your patients, and lots of putty to the bench.

HTH,

D

Thanks for the heads up (and the pics of the colours)

You do have to question some of the layout decisions by Italeri, but hopefully it will come together as nice as yours.  :speak_cool:

One of the things I was thinking of doing was gluing the left and right tail halves to the left and right main body BEFORE gluing the body all together. I was also thinking of attaching the top wing to the body halves before attaching the bottom.

Would this work?

I want to try and minimize the gaps at those joints if possible.