Best IAF Mirage III reference book (or website)?

ChuckT

Guest Peterpools

Hi Chuck

Absolutely IAF and I'm also looking at the cammo scheme as I plan on using the Isracast conversion for the Altar 9C engine, which has a different exhaust then the 9b versions. One thing we need to be careful of is the colors for the cammo scheme changed in the 1980's, especially the green. When I built my 48th Kfir, I used the post 1980 colors, which was from the MIG set but would need to be modified for the earlier cammo colors.

untitled-7_zpscqfr6dje.jpg

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

I was thinking of trying my hand at scratch building (yah I know) an Atar 9C can, but I may do an earlier camo'ed IAF mirage that would have still used a 9B engine. I'm still not sure about all that.

Your Kfir looks sweet by the way!  ;)

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Chuck

Isracast has the conversion and I bought it along with their Mk 4 seat and decals. The instructions are clear but I think it conversion also corrects the exhaust area as well. I haven't looked in the box except for the day it arrived a while back

Peter

I saw there stuff and it looks good, but I have been playing around with CAD and photo etching, so this might be a good chance for me to apply it with this build. 

Not making any promises, but we'll see once I get building.

I think the first thing I need to do is figure out what colours I need and place my order for some more mr Paint!

From what I've found online, the earlier IAF three colour scheme uses the following colours:

Green  FS 34258

Tan      FS 30219

Sand    FS 33531

Pale Blue FS 35622

Do these colours sounds right?

Hi Dave

Thank you for the link but from what I have been finding out, Israeli Mirage cockpits were unique, in what ways, I have no idea. I'm going to use the same philosophy as Chuck and just take the middle road.

Peter

First I've heard of that. The photo of an IAF Mirage cockpit in the Osprey book shows a standard IIIC instrument panel, almost identical to photos I've seen of a French Mirage. The only mods I'm aware of are the addition of some switches to lock the radar modes as a result of combat experience, and the later removal of the radar, which simply meant the scope was removed. Other than the 9C engine, the IAF IIICs received little upgrading AFAIK. I don't think Neshers got much either. Kfirs were a completely different animals though.

Hi Chuck

Absolutely IAF and I'm also looking at the cammo scheme as I plan on using the Isracast conversion for the Altar 9C engine, which has a different exhaust then the 9b versions. One thing we need to be careful of is the colors for the cammo scheme changed in the 1980's, especially the green. When I built my 48th Kfir, I used the post 1980 colors, which was from the MIG set but would need to be modified for the earlier cammo colors.

untitled-7_zpscqfr6dje.jpg

Peter

Cant add any info, but just wanted to say that is a superb build Pete!... Beautifully done!

Cheer's,

Jeff.