thierry laurent

SEA F-4C/D

As I wrote in the other forum, the ALQ-101 V1 is the most appropriate one for a SEA Phantom but considering the decals you want to use, I would rather use an earlier ALQ-87 type like the one of the kit. Indeed, "The Saint" has this deco in 1968 whereas the ALQ-101 was used later.

For the winders, you should ideally use AIM-9B (standard USAF missile on Phantoms before the Linebacker era), the D being used by the Navy.

The main problem is the fact that if I am right, currently, nobody produces AIM-9B anymore (nor the E by the way). So, you have to find missiles in another kit or one of the long discontinued Cutting Edge sets (or even some made by Eric Galliers). Not easy...

thanks again Thierry... I do hate the ALQ-87 pod's shape :( (it really looks ugly to me)

which kit I can grab AIM-9B from?

Edited by Luca

Well, you are not forced to use the pod as all planes did not have it.

For the Sidewinder, the problem is finding acceptable ones! The Revell Hunters have very nice ones. The Kinetic, HK and Hasegawa Sabres are acceptable as well. All F-104 and Mirage kits (Italeri, Revell and Hasegawa) also have them if my memory is right. The OV -10 also has two. There are also B Sidewinders in Trumpeter kits like the Corsair, Crusader or Supersabre but generally they are far from accurate... Russian MiG R13 Atolls are another option.

If you need four of them, this will not be easy as most kits only have two of them.

You may try to find a set of Cutting Edge Atolls. It is easier finding the kit of the Russian copy rather than the Sidewinders in spite of the fact the parts are identical!

Thierry

As I wrote in the other forum, the ALQ-101 V1 is the most appropriate one for a SEA Phantom but considering the decals you want to use, I would rather use an earlier ALQ-87 type like the one of the kit. Indeed, "The Saint" has this deco in 1968 whereas the ALQ-101 was used later.

F-4C 'Triple Sick' (1977) could mount the ALQ-101 V1? Which AIM-9 version?

0918290.jpg

(photo by Baldur Sveinsson, reproduced for educational purposes)

source: http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/McDonnell-F-4C-Phantom/0918290/L

That b/w checked tail really looks awesome... and also like the William Tell apple mark on the tank...

Hope Eli will be going to do this scheme, too.

Edited by Luca

I should check but I am wondering if longer versions of the ECM pod were not already used.

For the Sidewinders, AIM-9Js would correspond to the era. Some beautiful ones are produced by Mark1.

For the decals, the main problem is always the availability of sufficiently detailed pictures to decypher the pilot and crew names. One problem of such late seventies schemes was the use of white stenciling...

- and quite a gloss finish! 'Toom looks brilliant in this scheme!

My request for a scheme would be Captain Swendners' 'well used'  14th July 1966 Mig 21 Killer F4C when with 480 TFS 35 TFW - really decent picture in Combat Aircraft June 2016 edition.

Can anyone update us with accurate info ref Hong Kong Models 1/32 'Tooms?

I have never seen F-4Ds in SEA with LGBs and Sidewinders.

hi Thierry, take a look here:

142287-16820-82.jpg

don't the fins of the missiles interfere with the fins of the bomb at launch? :hmmm:

Edited by Luca

Well, this is not a F-4D but a slatted F-4E! Look at the slat actuator in the upper right side of the picture.

With regard to the LGB launch risk linked to the missile pylons, weapons release safety is one of the most thorough tests done before war load certification for decades. Air forces are not playing with that for long.

However, take care with pictures as it is not uncommon to see parked planes carrying weapons they cannot even drop!

And finally, another problem to consider is the weight. Normally, you never see a plane with full AtoA load (like 4 AIM-7 & 4 AIM-9 on a F-4) AND air to ground weapons. Modellers generally do not understand that if the maximum theoretical war load weight is one thing, a practical and mission-driven one is another thing!

Can anyone update us with accurate info ref Hong Kong Models 1/32 'Tooms?

The F-4 model is still going thru the design stage, there are plenty of other projects coming along this year from HK so don't expect it anytime soon!  I'm quite certain that the wait will be well worth it.

I'd guess Eli will make any decal choices after the kits eventual release next year if he wants to do them?

In the meantime I'm hoping that some of the schemes already mentioned will come to fruition for the F4-E's in due course!

Roy.    

Well, this is not a F-4D but a slatted F-4E! Look at the slat actuator in the upper right side of the picture.

oh man... you're right! sorry  :doh:

MAYBE I'll be able to get 2 or 4 AIM-9B from the Hunter Revell kits (really hoping)... it's very difficult to choose one only SEA F-4C/D ... one bird has a nice thing, one has another...

Edited by Luca

those two birds are beautiful as well... could they be included in the sheet (excluding the large invasion stripes)?

3_238.jpg

3_21_b2.jpg

Edited by Luca

Baldur Sveinsson pics. AN/ALQ-71s used as Tu-95/142 threat simulators...

image_88.jpeg

image_89.jpeg

Purdy, ain't they ?!

And in case you needed proof via diagram...

image_90.jpeg

Voila. 57th FIS F-4Es also carried this '71 gear during threat simulation sorties, along with two inert AIM-9Es. Groovy baby !

Tony

ALQ-71 could be hanged up in the forward sparrow bay of the F-4D The Saint (port side) and the EF-4C Brain Damage (starboard side)?

3_37.jpg

I am planning purchasing goodies for one of the two F-4C/D Tamiya kits in my stash (to be done Vietnam timeframe) and I am strongly undecided between the two birds  :BANGHEAD2:

I also like the tail-checked William Tell and the D-Days w/invasion stripes... they are all beautiful!  :BANGHEAD2: :BANGHEAD2: :BANGHEAD2:

I also love so much the AGM-45s of the Wild Weasel version... but I do not like very much the ALQ-87 pod...

Edited by Luca

The 67th TFS F-4C Wild Weasels only used the GE ***AN/ALQ-87*** pod during Linebacker ops.

Load-out was this:

image_94.jpeg

(USAF photo)

The artwork of Brain Damage is incorrect. The Westinghouse AN/ALQ-119 as depicted was used ca.1975-1980 and only under the *right* Sparrow well. The left front side featured a *permanently* plumbed-in pallet housing ER-142 processors, a tape recorder and strike camera.

There are no decals for the 57th FIS F-4C aircraft in 1/32 scale, sadly. They were at Keflavik ca.1974-78, replacing F-102s and being replaced, in turn, by F-4Es. Load-outs with AN/ALQ-71s were used as "threat simulators" to imitate Soviet bomber jamming. Alert aircraft carried only missiles and fuel tanks.

The candy cane striped 58th TFTW F-4Cs from Luke AFB, AZ., wore those schemes ca.1975-78 and you could add an AN/ALQ-119.

The Saint may well have featured the APS-107 diamond-shaped antennae on the nose barrel (just like the ER-142 receivers used on the Weasel Cs) but also likely will have used AIM-4D Falcons on the inner pylons on their unique launch rails, not AIM-9B/Es. AFAIK only Ubon F-4Ds used Sidewinder prior to June 1972.

This constant mis-match in available decals and stores over the past twenty years is what forced me to go along the 16473 glossy aircraft grey route.

HTH

Tony

Edited by Tony T