1/48 Airfix BP Defiant

Kahunaminor

Looks great, Kent! This would make a great first-kit in 1/32 for Airfix, I think.

Kev

Thanks Kev,

I would like also to see what Tamiya, HKM or one of the other emerging companies would do with a 1/32 scale version!

Regards,

Thanks Kev,

I would like also to see what Tamiya, HKM or one of the other emerging companies would do with a 1/32 scale version!

Regards,

I still bet that Airfix will give us the Defiant in 24 th scale ...some day.

And then a conversion set for the prototype without the turret and guns in the wings.

https://www.google.be/search?q=Bp+Defiant&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=979&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjvhuaG7fnMAhUF6xoKHS-WAQ0QiR4IrQE#imgrc=tukylwjeCImFKM%3A

Easy to understand why the Luftwaffe pilots saw this as the Hurricane at first.

Edited by Erwin

Hi There, great looking model just ordered one yesterday through  local model shop.

I noted the comments on rivets. Having spent 40 plus years working on military and civilian aircraft the effect you saw on the Defiant is typical of aircraft, particularly ones in museums, where they washed or hosed down to clean them when they get really dusty. Having washed a considerable number of large and small aircraft over the years, military, civil and historic (not always In museums I might add) the water left in the recess around the rivet head after washing eventually dries off and the dust/dirt in the water/liquid remains trapped in the recess. This is he whitisth ring you see in the images you took. Kero fuel prop or jet/bypass engine aircraft when washed or degreased say prior to a maintenance servicing leave for instance end up with black rings from the kero exhaust. Once the aircraft goes flying rain or atmospheric moisture in combination with slipstream cleans out the dirt. If you look at images of the real Defiant in service (or most aircraft in service), that ring effect around the rivet heads isn't appearent.

The image of the fuselage side showing the rivets pulled into the skin is a different kettle of fish however. Looking at the images of the Defiant, this appears to be through the manufacturing process and appears to be exacerbated by stress on the fuselage in older aircraft which in the Defiant's case appears to be quite prominent. I'm sure the framies out there will be able to better explain the exact cause.

Again, a great looking model.

Rgds Brent

• 3 years later...
14 hours ago, DIO said:

Nice build!

My answer to with or without rivets, is with. Also with stressed skin and BMF.

43301.jpg

But most probably will never finish, while your is already sitting proudly on its... wheels!

Congratulations my friend!

Very nice work! Please continue.

Regards,

On 2/8/2020 at 8:30 AM, Kahunaminor said:

Very nice work! Please continue.

Regards,

Unfortunately it is a small scale model (1/48).

I always build my models in 1/48, so I am here mostly to learn and observe :-)

Cheers,

DIO

25 minutes ago, DIO said:

Unfortunately it is a small scale model (1/48).

I always build my models in 1/48, so I am here mostly to learn and observe :-)

Cheers,

DIO

You're still very welcome to post them here in the Non-LSP Works forum!

Kev