Su-25M1 "Digital" Frogfoot - cockpit done!

modelmkr

Some small progress today.

Finished off the B-8M rocket pods, All glued up, seams all filled and added the rear 'handles'.

The real deal:

25711712833_717012fc81_c.jpg

My meager efforts:

25711668033_c4ba72603b_b.jpg

I was going to forego loading a pair of Kh-25ML AGMs as their exhaust was rather poorly done... decided to see if I could improve things, and lo and behold, was easier than I thought. Great! says I... then I find out these are pretty much obsolete and not really used that much anymore. Oh well, good for some other kit.

26005011280_90a6b59e0c_b.jpg

And started re-shaping the sway braces. Supplied in the kit they are just rectangular in shape, where the real thing is quite complex.

The real deal:

Forward-

26288527746_1471e81bf2_z.jpg

Rear-

25711712503_b4bd5e0a6a_z.jpg

start of my effort:

26211634171_2dc01b2e1c_c.jpg

That's all for now.

Marc B.

@RNoAF:

Initially I wasn't, but with better pictures I can see the right side of the main panel on the Ukrainian M1 is quite different than a standard Frogfoot 'A' with the 45 degree coaming slope replaced by a squared off panel with a different instrument arrangement.

So, yes I will be modifying the panel. As well there is a control box hanging off the port side canopy framing with an array of red and black knobs. I've already scratch built that item.

Marc B.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I thought I'd take this opportunity to yammer on about weapon loadout options for the Su-25 Frogfoot 'A', Su-25K, Su-25M1 and other first generation Frogfoots.

I've seen the full range of the good, bad, and ugly when it comes to builds on-line and in person, but one thing that strikes me is that almost ALL of them are presented with unrealistic weapon loadouts.

Now, when I say that, I'm not talking about the showy airshow loadouts where all bets are off; and really it's your model, so if you want to hang everything but the kitchen sink on your Frogfoot, then go for it... who am I to say different. No, what I'm talking about are real world war loads and for those who care, I present this primer for all the reasons and rules governing why you CAN'T just hang any old thing on those 10 pylons.

As you know, Trumpeter's kit comes with a wide array of weapons... many of which are not appropriate to the Frogfoot variant kitted. It confused me as well, so through research and invaluable info from our own Harvey5 (Joseph), I present...

'Da Rulz'

1) The first gen Frogfoots were developed with a rather simple weapons computer that has a limitation of only two (2) ballistic profile entries at a time. The menu list of possible entries are long and varied, but only two selections from that list can be accommodated. The ballistic profiles are for rockets, rocket pods, and bombs. Each rocket type (S-24/ UB-32/ B-8M/ each S-25 type etc.) represent one choice. Each bomb type (FAB-250, FAB-500, etc.) including each sub type represent one choice.

Further limitations with these two ballistic entries are that only one bomb type can occupy one of these positions and one rocket type for the other. So no mixed bomb loads or mixed rocket types can be loaded on the aircraft.

Note that this does not limit the NUMBER of the same bomb/ rocket type that can be loaded. Six B-8M rocket pods or, say, 4 FAB-250 M46 bombs are fine.

2) The Klen PS Laser designator is a look forward designator. It has no look down, overfly tracking capability, so laser guided bombs cannot be used for this.

3) Gun pods share a common fire switch with rockets/ rocket pods, so you cannot mix rockets and gun pods in the same loadout.

4) Pylon assignments:

- I'll refer to pylons by number. Looking at the front of the aircraft, pylons are numbered 1 to 11. 1-5 are on the stbd side, 7-11 are on the port side. Position 6 is centerline and is rarely, if ever, used.

- Pylons 1 and 11 are dedicated missile pylons for exclusive use of the R-60 AA missile (along with the APU-60 rails).

- Pylons 3,5,7 and 9 are wet pylons. Only these can accommodate fuel tanks. They can, of course, be used for weapon stores as well.

- Pylons 4,5,7 and 8 are wired for gun pods. No other pylons can use gun pods.

- Pylons 3,4,5,7,8 and 9 are wired for the Kh-25 missiles. However 5 and 7 are not used for these due to damage to the engines from the rocket motors.

5) Lastly are weapons that are of a generation not wired for the first gen Frogfoots. The Vikhr AT missiles (9m-120), Kh-58, Kh-29, KAB series, any other AA missile beyond the R-60 are not cleared/ capable for this aircraft. This covers the contents of what is provided in the kit.

So that about does it. Again, for those that care, you can build a real world war load from these rules. In the end, it's your model and whatever turns your fancy, go for it.

Marc B.

Marc I gotta correct you. First gen Frogfoots using CH-29L on pylons 5 and 7 but had to be replaced by a rack BD3-25 for BD3-25AKU, it was normal and use it against the heavily fortified bunkers.Some  Su-25 could have Kh-58, but then had to be on the rack 6, container BA-58 Vjuga.

@harvy5, as a follow on, I assume that guided air to ground missiles (Kh-25, Ch-29) do NOT take up one of the two spots in the ballistic computer?

BTW guys, sorry for no updates of late… was down for a week with kidney stones and what progress I've made is not terribly interesting. More should be coming soon.

Marc B.

Hope you're feeling better!!!

Ballistic computer is only for no-controlled ammo.Missiles are controlled by laser beam and corrected METKA button on the control stick.