Thank you one and all, as the expression goes "there's many ways of skinning a cat" (though why you'd want to is beyond me!). I'm sure it's as time consuming as Cees strips of tape but the advantage with this method is that the layered paint can be sanded back to the degree of prominence that you want. I've been reading through Alex's Hampden build to pick up further tips or ways of countering the inevitable problems that occur with vac builds, but hey, who wants kits which fall together! :). More work on the cabin framing at the moment but no pics today, off to a golf match.

Max

Really awesome work, Max...One day, I will tackle one of these, but I definitely lack the patience and skill for such an endeavor. And having personal connection to the aircraft is a great motivator...waiting for the next update.

Shaka, it's more about planning, thought and technique than skills as such.  This is going to sound like heresy, but I actually got bored modelling the Tamiya Spitfire because everything fits so perfectly, much preferred the Revell one with all its flaws.  Vacuform modelling is like a blank canvas; be prepared to experiment, think laterally and to fail at times but it's great fun!

Hi Max,

Just stumbled upon your thread... Good stuff so far! 

Will be following with great interest!

Phil

Thank you Phil!  I've been keeping a careful eye on your Canberra, as with Alex's Hampden, looking and learning!

Regards

Max

Shaka, it's more about planning, thought and technique than skills as such.  This is going to sound like heresy, but I actually got bored modelling the Tamiya Spitfire because everything fits so perfectly, much preferred the Revell one with all its flaws. 

Thank you Phil!  I've been keeping a careful eye on your Canberra, as with Alex's Hampden, looking and learning!

Regards

Max

["Vacuform modelling is like a blank canvas; be prepared to experiment, think laterally and to fail at times but it's great fun!"]

Yep!.. got it,  in One  Max!

Shaka... One day, I will tackle one of these, but I definitely lack the patience and skill for such an endeavor.}...

I don't agree... if you are capable of assembling an injection kit...reasonably well .. in my books, you are qualified to build a vac!

You will find your skills improving 4-fold as you progress... at your own pace... because you will be finding yourself (as Max correctly stated before)... thinking - planning more laterally and in ways you never did before!

This will become obvious to you once you go back to the injection kits... your skills will definitely be 'improved'...

I think you should give it a go - now!

Phil

Edited by Piprm

I decided I couldn't live with the bulges on the fuselage as they were so I've cut them off, I'm going to fill these spaces then make some new more accurate ones, probably out of Milliput or similar.  I'll be able to make door now that looks correct:

DSCN9995_zpsud189hme.jpg

The Connect-o based internal framing is just about complete, it'l need a bit of truing up once set but it seems to have come out quite well:

DSCN9994_zpsxnrqqsrn.jpg

Just about to do the other side of the rudder, then it could be the horizontal tailplane which just comes as one surface with no demarcation for elevators.

Max
Edited by mozart