Bravo Mozart

I have this kit and I totally admire your approach to the tubing structure. I may shift my method. The cowl fairings (early cowl) seem to me to be all different sizes. I picked out one that looked right and made resin copies. I will send you a set if you like.

Rick

Cheers Andy. The good news is there are few rivets but replicating the wooden lattice structure of the wing underneath the fabric covering will be interesting. I have a method in mind which I'm going to trial on the rudder but there are alternatives.....watch this space!

Max

I've made a start on the rudder, its shape and definition on the vac was poor so I started by cutting both halves off and sanding back carefully to get a better profile, then inserted a thin fillet of plasticard which I've now "faced" with some Milliput ready for sanding to a round edge once dry.  Like the plane's wings, the rudder has a distinctive lattice appearance caused by the reinforcing tape over the stretched canvas.  Fortunately Ken Hill in Canada is restoring one at the moment and posting progress on Facebook, all of which is very useful reference material, and he's also very obligingly measured some specific parts for me inside the cabin.

DSCN9974_zpsa9ehcuvv.jpg 

DSCN9978_zps5ilrqryr.jpg

DSCN9980_zps6p1lhun9.jpg

The state of the cabin so far with the side framing laid out roughly in position (I think!!):

DSCN9977_zpsmiexxu5t.jpg

Time to cut out the side windows shortly.......bit apprehensive about this, could go horribly wrong! :(

Max
Edited by mozart

The work on the rudder has gone well, it looks much more business-like:

DSCN9984_zpsxiuz6zry.jpg

The plan is to cut out squares of masking tape and place them on the rudder surface, then spray the whole thing with Halford's filler primer which should build up a thin network of lines to simulate the lattice effect.

I enlarged some drawings of the Anson fuselage to the correct scale to use as a template for cutting out the window's and the door:

DSCN9981_zpsbnfcub3p.jpg

DSCN9987_zpsrqjxgukt.jpg

I had to make the door opening slightly shorter than it should have been because the bulges near the wing root are I believe either a little large or in the wrong place, but that's not too important!  On the port side I'll be filling in the area where the forward-firing machine gun sits, I can't imagine Winkle Brown's RAE aircraft would have had one fitted.  All in all a good day's modelling, a bit more tomorrow with luck! :)

Max