Rules of the Road

Hi all,

As most know I'm all for GB's. But this theme is puzzling me.

The choise of builds is so great,that  any LSP kit  fits the theme.

I will have to think about this GB for a while.

I do have the 32 nd Revell Dornier 27 "Safari" kit. He flew it. But I have no idea in what markings .  :shrug:

Did he fly the militairy or civil version  ? :hmmm:

If anyone can point me in the right direction,then this will be my build. Otherwise...I'm out.

Edited by Erwin

It's funny, i usually have no problem picking a kit for a GB, all this leeway has me a little flustered. I should buy the Wings on my sleeves book, for more definitive ideas and it looks like a great read going by the excerpts i've read.

Don

There's probably quite a few aircraft on the list that we won't be able to pin down to a specific ID. Don't let that deter you though.

Agreed 100% Brad, the spirit of the GB is to model an aircraft that Winkle Brown flew, not THE specific aircraft - as has been said many times the choice is so huge that it should make building one easy.

Max

Agreed 100% Brad, the spirit of the GB is to model an aircraft that Winkle Brown flew, not THE specific aircraft - as has been said many times the choice is so huge that it should make building one easy.

Max

Well,in that case I'm in with the Revell Dornier 27.

I won't do the "Safari" as that paintjob is far to difficult for me to do by brush.

Edited by Erwin

Well I've had a thought about it, and since I'm doing a few other builds this year, I thought I'd choose something relatively simple.

Going for the Tristar 1/35 Fieseler Storch - specifically, the captured 475081, rebadged as VP546, painted in overall RAF silver with roundels (before being restored and residing in Luftwaffe colors at the RAF Museum)

Captain Brown flew this specific aircraft numerous times at RAE and also off the HMS Triumph (no catapult necessary!)

So I hope that qualifies!

Well I've had a thought about it, and since I'm doing a few other builds this year, I thought I'd choose something relatively simple.

Going for the Tristar 1/35 Fieseler Storch - specifically, the captured 475081, rebadged as VP546, painted in overall RAF silver with roundels (before being restored and residing in Luftwaffe colors at the RAF Museum)

Captain Brown flew this specific aircraft numerous times at RAE and also off the HMS Triumph (no catapult necessary!)

So I hope that qualifies!

It does, welcome aboard.

It does, welcome aboard.

Thanks Brad - only problem I face now is finding a, shall we say dimunitive 1/35 scale pilot!

Captain Brown wasn't that tall - a fact that saved his life a few times he reckons - and if I use a 1/32 pilot in a 1/35 aircraft, the scale will be out again. Can't have a six foot four pilot!

Oh and what the hell is RAF Silver? I really can't get a straight answer out of references or am not looking hard enough, but I think its just flat aluminium without any metallic sheen or shine? 

Looks like the closest match is FS 17178....so Im going to try Vallejos Semi matte aluminium from their new acrylic metal range, which sprays lovely. I'll do the markings using masks, no decals, so paint them on and then give it all a flat coat. That might do the trick...

Have to finish a couple of other builds first, but going over the kit in front of me, its quite simple....we'll see!

What a dilemma..while he's flown everything, it seems a bit odd to build an aircraft that's not of his country's origin and the only thing that peaks my interest would be the Vampire (after watching his documentary on Netflix). But I don't see a 1/32 offering of this aircraft. Any one know for sure?

Revell produced a 1/32nd Sea Venom Shaka that Winkle certainly would have flown but I don't know how easy it is to get hold of. (just checked, there are 3 for sale on ebay, £35.00 or thereabouts).

Max

Edited by mozart