Bandai 1/12 BB8

Nessus

Hi all,

Having been encouraged to de-lurk (yet again), here is my recently completed BB8. Painted pretty much all on the sprues due to its construction, the colours were Tamiya fine white primer, a custom mixed orange in accordance with the instructions and AK stainless steel.

After that he pretty much falls together, although I modified the head with a small magnet to give a more jaunty angle. The flame from his torch is made with stretched sprue.

The base is detailed with scrap to make a little more interesting.

The majority of time was actually the weathering. For this I used a small brush to dab on an AK wash which was almost immediately removed with a sponge to feather it in as per the filming prop. Apologies for the graininess of the picture.

c5f81c48-811e-4507-8957-93d400b8c1aa.jpg

image.jpg2_4.jpg

image.jpg3_2.jpg

Comments and criticisms welcome.

Brendan

Edited by Nessus

Hi Kevin,

Yes it is, but in order to be able to use oils or enamels for weathering without them attacking the plastic, I chose to paint them and then sealed that with a satin clear coat (50/50 gunze flat and gloss) and then weathered using the enamels. Then I sealed the weathering with a flat coat.

Same process I used for my scout trooper which is now also finished. I will see if I can post a few pics of it too, but space is limited - I need a light box!

Brendan

Edited by Nessus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Whoa! A blast from the past.

Kev, he is about 3" tall.

Regards,

Brendan

OK, thanks. Did he come in a set with R2-D2? I've seen it sold that way. I just watched The Last Jedi, and fell for this little guy all over again.