Russian T-90 1/35 scale

andromeda673

Well since I have been on a huge armor kick, and have decided to take a break from planes, I completed the assembly on my T90 from Zvezda. DEAR GOD what a complicated build. The headlights are a nightmare, as well as the tracks........but overall assembly is completed and now it's time for paint. 

100_6323_zps6jkucpwp.jpg

100_6325_zpssjqordoi.jpg

100_6324_zpsiyyr0koi.jpg

Stay tuned for paint! 

I have this kit started myself, was on the turret before I had to pack it up due to moving. Once I'm settled in, it'll be back on the bench.

Besides the headlights and tracks, any other areas of challenge?

What scheme are you going with?

Mike

I have this kit started myself, was on the turret before I had to pack it up due to moving. Once I'm settled in, it'll be back on the bench.

Besides the headlights and tracks, any other areas of challenge?

What scheme are you going with?

Mike

The side armor plates and rods for mounting are a real pain as well. The main issue with the kit is that every part needs to be built with three or more parts that make up that assembly. 

Other then that it's a pretty straight forward armor build. Also one major knock on the kit is turret can only be mounted on a angle, so if you want to display the tank with the turret facing straight forward, you will have to chop off the mounting tabs, but that's pretty minimal. 

Well managed to get some time today in at the old bench, was able to get the shading done, and then lay down the first coat of green, Now it's onto letting it cure, and then putting down more shading with a lighter green. I'm going for the well worn T-90 look. 

As Always, thanks for looking! 

100_6327_zpssw3tufm2.jpg

100_6328_zpsdrwnpak9.jpg

100_6326_zpsmenlqhfx.jpg

100_6330_zpsle18obkp.jpg

100_6331_zpsq6aygnrk.jpg

100_6329_zps6cqlufjs.jpg

100_6332_zpspdxfwd45.jpg

How do you paint the tracks separate from the wheels etc.?  I've always wondered that with these new individual link tracks in place of the old rubber band type.

I painted everything in one shot, it takes sometime, but it's doable. Also with using a few different blacks and grey's, it's pretty easy to cover everything. 

Coming together nicely ... it's a good looking tank, you see quite a few M-1s getting built but hardly any T-90s. You're meeting the challenge of the monochrome paint scheme pretty well so far.

Cheers

Jim

Thank you! It's been a battle, but I appreciate it! 

made some more progress tonight, and was finally able to get the light green down, as well as decal the model, now next on the list is to apply a flat coat, and then add a wash, and this bad boy will be done. 

IMG_1540%201_zpsbjqkn1vp.jpg

IMG_1541_zpsql7jsty1.jpg

IMG_1542_zpsftfca7gu.jpg

IMG_1543_zpsuoggrzxk.jpg

Thanks for looking! 

Nice! So are you into modern Russian stuff? Although Zvesda's recent releases are very good, but reviews say the Meng stuff is really nice and easy to build; near Tamiya engineering with better detail. Not into modern myself, more of a WWII armor guy.

Nice! So are you into modern Russian stuff? Although Zvesda's recent releases are very good, but reviews say the Meng stuff is really nice and easy to build; near Tamiya engineering with better detail. Not into modern myself, more of a WWII armor guy.

Yeah I'm into any modern stuff to be honest, doesn't really matter what. I'm just a 1/35 main battle tank nuts. I have also heard that about the meng kits as well, I'm sure I will build another T90 at some point, but the next one might be the trumpeter version or meng, we will have to see. 

This kit was a battle, and I now know why guys pass it up, but hey at $30 it's a great bargain because it is one of the most accurate T90's with very little modification needed. I did have to add some wiring and structure that is missing, but that's minor. 

There were some issues with the build, but overall if you just take a deep breath and slowly work your way through it, everything will work out. 

nice one

Mark

Thank you, once I get the wash added, and another coat of dull coat, I will take some better pictures, I haven't made the base yet, so I still have to do that. 

Sorry I missed asking this earlier, but what were the issues with the headlights?

Darren

The issue or issues are, they are complicated, and three parts make up one assembly. The problem is, cutting them off the sprue mangles them because the material is so thin and brittle. Then if you do manage to get them off the sprue in piece, they are twisted and no longer square. I found it easier to just rebuild them from scratch basically.