'Tribute to Sheperd Paine' (1/48 B-17 Flying Fortress)

kkarlsen

Hello Guy's, I have wanted to share this project of mine with you, for some time.

I call it 'Tribute to Sheperd Paine', and I think most of you will know his wonderful and inspiring work.

Sadly he passed away last year.

This was a Monogram kit  I purchased around 1979.

At the time, I was determined to try and replicate the diorama of the crashed B-17 made by Sheperd Paine.

But my skills were not up to the task and the project stalled...

It was also one of my last projects, before giving up the scale modelling for good...

So times went by, 30 years or so, before I finally returned to scale modelling.

A lot of new stuff was going on, and I wanted to try some of the many new techniques... And why not try them on this?

But in front of me was a very steep learning curve of new skills, and of course you cannot pick everything up on one project.

Some scratched parts and modifications, vaccum formed canopies, new Panel lines etc...

It's my first try at painting with an airbrush, salt weathering, oil paint weathering, printing my own decals etc.

This is also my first diorama, working with modelling clay, grass, sculpting etc...

I'm pretty satisfied with the end result (finished in 2013). But of course I  still have a lot to learn, so please don't be too hard in your jugment... I think I will get the 'hang' of it, eventually.

I'm happy that I finally did accomplish my 'Tribute to Sheperd Paine'.... Here are some photos taken yesterday... Hmmm...

7698-050717172032-11912494.jpeg

7698-050717172032-119111220.jpeg

7698-050717172032-119101576.jpeg

7698-050717172032-11909500.jpeg

Edited by kkarlsen

Hello kklarsen,

I remember quite well the first boxing of the Monogram B-17 and the leaflet by Shephard Paine accompanying it.  It was an epiphany to me.

I've built dozens models before but for the first time someone showed me HOW and WHY I did it. Of course, there have been hundreds of books and magazine articles since, some by Shep Paine himself, but that B-17 leaflet will always be special to me.

Your superb diorama is a fitful and moving homage to the grand master :bow: . Thank you for sharing it with us.

Sincerely,

Quang

Absolutely stunning.

The monogram B17G was my last project back in 1997 and after renovating a circa 1550 house and selling it, I am back modelling.

Always wished I had the skill set to replicate the great Shep Paines dio's, but this is so close to the masters work it's unbelievable.

Congratulations

Thank's Gents - Appreciate your kind words....

I forgot to mention, the plane is a fictive one (as was mr. Paine's) I have called it 'Red Hot Riding Hood' with a pinup of Marilyn Monroe...

A pinup painted by Earl Moran, I altered it some in Photoshop and printed it on decal paper... Enjoy!

7698-050717172033-119161904.jpeg

My pinup based on Earl Moran's painting of Marilyn Monroe...

Edited by kkarlsen