Review: Kinetic 1/24 Republic P-47D Thunderbolt "Razorback"

LSP_Kevin

K2, when you put the pics into a gallery they are numbered when you view them full size. Pic #18 and pic #55 show sprue shots of the corrugated floor for the cockpit.

I'd actually forgotten about that! Good place for a caption, eh?

:coolio:

Kev

K2, when you put the pics into a gallery they are numbered when you view them full size. Pic #18 and pic #55 show sprue shots of the corrugated floor for the cockpit.

OK, 18 of 70 and 55 of 70, I see it now.

I'd actually forgotten about that! Good place for a caption, eh?

:coolio:

Kev

Perhaps it would be at that.

There is also what appears to be a flat (non corrugated) floorboard in photos 15 & 59, but it is mentioned nowhere on the instructions.

Yes, the later floor for the bubbletops. We are still waiting on hayaman to hear what is wrong with the floor.

Hallo-1 st of all i make clear tha comment was about the COCKPIT,not the whole kit and i think that was clear from the 1st place but i say it again-i admit i saw the NON corrugated floor at 1st(which by the way is irrelevant to the real one) and that forced my comment,having seen the whole kit in the meantime i have to say it s almost identical in design-apearence with Trump s 1/32,as for the 'pit (with the corugated floor in account) is ok for 1/72 in detail quality and quantity but  for this scale is deffinatelly for vast improvement or chenge to some resin(?) one-cheers

Ok, hayaman, I see where you were coming from. If they had only provided the late floor it would have been pretty bad, although not a deal breaker.

I have started a 1/24th bubbletop, although it now sits in my shame pile waiting for some love. In my opinion, the cockpit detailing is pretty complete. You have to watch some of the parts as they did kind of mix some early and late - it was obvious to me they were thinking of a razorback at the time. The main problem with the detailing is it is kind of simplified. Most of the stuff is there and built OOB it would look pretty darn good. You can see a pre-production sample built by Chris Sherland here on the site somewhere. However, at this scale, so much more can be added. Also, my personal peeve is I abhor molded in cabling in large scale kits as it just looks so fake. Give us the boxes, a length of cable material, and a good layout and let us do it ourselves! So I have scraped off all the wiring so I can get a much better 3D look. The seat needs thinning, too, which really makes it look better.

But as I said, the basics are all there. 

I'm with you, Ray. All of the basics seem to be there, and with some care, this kit can be turned into a real impressive stunner, with presence and character to spare.

As you mentioned K2; the size and presence alone of things like the fuselage, make the model attractive in it's own right detail aside.

Edited by Out2gtcha

As you mentioned K2; the size and presence alone of things like the fuselage, make the model attractive in it's own right detail aside.

Overall exterior detailing looks real good to me, though there were one or two things I thought could have been done better. As I recall, the exhaust gate appears a bit oversimplified. While I didn't do a photo comparison of the area (or any other areas on this particular review), the overall impression was very good. This model, in a grungy OD over gray scheme, partial invasion stripes, bazooka tubes and bombs, will look every bit the rear end kicker that it really was.

I guess it's a good idea to make sure we have all the facts and know what's actually in a kit before we rush to the computer keyboard with our hysteria and hyperbole, eh?

Relax my friend,it wasn t a coment about your...family,t s just a damn kit after all!,and sorry but for my standards and as a P-47 fan it s VERY basic(i will repeat i coment about the 'pit only,not all the kit),as Ray said you have to scratch off the cables and ad detail too here and there,for today s standards it s already to much to fix(by the way i have built p-47 s from Has and Trump and i have use the MDC set or parts from it in Trump s case(excludind wiring and plumbing in both cases!) to make it look 'busy' and real,so sorry but for my standards OOB this is nice(and not THAT special )for 1/72-cheers

Guest Peterpools

K2

Excellent review of a kit we all have interest in; after.all you can never have enough Mustangs, Spitfires and Thunderbolts. Completely agree that the kit does contain the basis for a detailer's dream and wouldn't it be grand if Eduard, Aires and Airscale worked their magic on upgrading the Jug.

OOB certainly has promise and with the canopy closed surely would be a gem in the display case.

Peter