1/32 Academy F/A-18C Hornet - VFA-81 Sunliners

DoogsATX

After waffling for a bit once I wrapped up the F-104, I've landed on my next 1/32 jet build - Academy's F/A-18C. 

I was 11 when Operation Desert Storm went down, and as such the aircraft of that conflict are burned into my mind in a very particular way. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case with decal manufacturers, particularly with the Hornet. The default - even for legacy Hornets - is either OIF schemes or garishly-painted CAG birds. I'm really not a fan of colors over what should be a low-viz scheme, so that leaves the decal options very tight. In the case of the C, I'll be doing a MiG-killer from VFA-81, the Sunliners. This isn't it, but another C from the same squadron, to give a sense of the weathering:

F-18C_VFA-81_in_flight_during_Gulf_War_1

Aftermarket's a bit all over the place:

- Quickboost SJU-17

- Data addendum decal sheet for things like ejection seat stencils

- Airscale IP and placard decals

- Eduard placard set

- Eduard stencil masks

- CAM Decals for the VFA-81 markings

- Rhino seamless intakes and wheels

- Aires exhausts

- Zactomodels AIM-9s

- Wolfpack Mk.84s (x4)

- G-Factor metal landing gear

Since I'm going with seamless intakes, I figured a good test-fitting was the right place to start. The Rhino instructions say to install the fuselage sides first, then squeeze the intakes into place. Well, I've only taped them so far, but still, the fit is pretty close to where it needs to be. The outer rim of the intakes is also nice and smooth, so cleaning up any seam should be pretty straightforward.

IMG_20160311_004356-X3.jpg

IMG_20160311_004408-X3.jpg

The Aires exhausts are solid, too. Love the outside/inside design and it should make painting a bit easier. 

IMG_20160311_012519-X3.jpg

The build order pretty much dictates that I get the intakes sorted first. So...a quick sand to smooth out the insides, then some primer. A bit of Gunze Hemp to provide some very subtle tonal variation, the on to overall Mr. Paint Light Ghost Gray.

IMG_20160320_004130-X3.jpg

IMG_20160320_011319-X3.jpg

Now comes the fun stuff. The gray carries back a distance into the Hornet's intakes before transitioning to white. And the opening isn't all that big, so masking around an irregular curve would be nearly impossible. Solution - slight modification to the latex house paint method.

First...get some paint. Then close up the back of the intake. I found my disposable paint cups fitted perfectly. A little bit of tape, a little bit of liquid mask, and I had enough of a barrier to do the job. No need to miles of tape!

IMG_20160320_233534-X3.jpg

IMG_20160320_233542-X3.jpg

Next...how to get the paint into the intakes without getting paint all over the forward gray portions? I got around this by cutting the bulb off a disposable pipette and shoving the shaft onto a children's medicine syringe (we have tons of them). Reach and precision!

IMG_20160320_233523-X3.jpg

The intakes were loaded up with paint, which was allowed to sit for a few minutes, and then drained.

IMG_20160320_225053-X3.jpg

The morning after...

IMG_20160321_081903-X3.jpg

Hi,

Nice work. I'll keep an eye on it since I own a D version.

By the way, I think that, back in 1990-91, F/A-18s had SJU-5/6 ejection seats. To be confirmed.

SJU-5/6 ejection seat - F/A-18C/D BuNo 163427 thru 164068

SJU-17 NACES ejection seat - F/A-18C/D BuNo 164196 thru 165532

Cheers

Hi,

Nice work. I'll keep an eye on it since I own a D version.

By the way, I think that, back in 1990-91, F/A-18s had SJU-5/6 ejection seats. To be confirmed.

SJU-5/6 ejection seat - F/A-18C/D BuNo 163427 thru 164068

SJU-17 NACES ejection seat - F/A-18C/D BuNo 164196 thru 165532

Cheers

Great to know! Mine is 163508 - so time to run down an earlier seat!

Nice work on the Hornet. I had the opposite problem on my build. I had the early seats. I realised too late so just had to live with it. Nice kit - just wish they had repeated the quality outside of the Hornet which I think is pretty exceptional. There are a few spots with the build - panel lines not complete and other mould faults that will need to be corrected for a great finish. All well documented so I am sure you have these all in hand.

Meanwhile, up front...

IMG_20160318_230355-X3.jpg

I'm pretty impressed with the job Academy's done on the instrument panel (the throttle and stick are similarly nice). The side consoles aren't quite as impressed but still perfectly workable. I've got an SJU-17 sitting here presently, but just learned that this Hornets in this production batch were using SJU-5/6 seats. Wolfpacks are on the way.

IMG_20160318_230406-X3.jpg

IMG_20160319_004819-X3.jpg

Also starting what will be some sill wear. I didn't have the mint-colored primer on hand, but I do have some Mr. Paint Russian Turquoise, and mixed that with some Lemon Gray and Light Ghost Gray to get to a close shade. More to come on this front.

220201604543-X3.jpg

And...Dark Gull Gray in the cockpit. Lots of detail work to come. 

IMG_20160321_004647-X3.jpg 

I see a SJU-5/6 here...certainly not a SJU-17.

They're hard as hell for me to tell apart, honestly. The ones I have in there right now are Quickboost's 32028 F/A-18D seats - unfortunately they don't give any further designation. 

Nice start Matt. Glad to see your intake turned out nice with that latex paint trick. I was thinking similar thing but while I was just thinking you went ahead and done it :D good for you ;) Well, I'll follow along to see what else you can do with this kit. It's a great kit. :thumbsup: